Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command line options and .ZCFG files

Hi,
    I want install ZoomSerach as service in remote server.
    I need update the .zcfg files without running the ZoomSearch Windows Form. But .zcfg is not a text file or an ini file so i can't change it.
    An option could be to pass all updated parameters in the command line of zoom. But the command line accepts all parameters from a .zcfg file.
    Please could you provide in the next release an extended command line option or change the .zcfg in text file?

Thanks,
    Nunzio

Actually the .zcfg file is really a text file. It is double byte Unicode however.

We don't encourage people to edit the file however as including wrong information in the file or having badly formatted information will surely cause strange behaviour and crash Zoom.

We will consider making some documentation available the describes the file format.
    [Update: this was done as part of the Zoom SDK]

----
    David

Comment

Nunzio - perhaps you could also tell us what parameters you are hoping to update via the ZCFG files in this manner, and we can let you know if there are any alternative approaches to achieve the same thing.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

.ZCFG

I have to change only the parameters below for all my configurations.
        I use even the offline mode to index the documents.

__4_0#STARTDIR:C:\xxxxxxx
        #SPIDERURL:http://www.mywebsite.com/index.html
        #BASEURLxxxxxxx
        #OUTDIRxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you,
        Nunzio

Comment

We will be making some minor updates to the ZCFG file format in the next release which will make it easier to modify the files via Notepad (or any other text editor, or even to be created from scratch by your own applications and scripts). They will remain in double byte Unicode format (which Notepad now supports).
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Is there a utility to modify the .ZCFG files currently (as in before the next release)?

I am also running into the same problem where I need to create multiple indexes (for offline searches). Each index is for a separate documentation file to be distributed on a CD. I am currently using a batch file to generate the documentation and then run ZoomIndexer to make index files. Each index uses the same configuration file with the only difference being the input and output sources.

It would be a lot easier to edit the .ZCFG file directly. Any help?

Comment

> Is there a utility to modify the .ZCFG files currently

Yes. It is the Zoom indexer. You can open, view, edit and save configuration files using a user friendly user interface.

You can also edit the configuration files with a text editor. But you will need a current one that supports Unicode, e.g. UltraEdit 11. Old DOS based ASCII text editors won't cut it.

------
              David

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed to know.

Using UltraEdit, I can now duplicate the config file I want to use for all my indexes and then modify the input/output locations faster than the GUI allows.

Next, I'll have to come up with some way to automate this process as well.

But thanks again for the quick response and awesome product.

Comment

Working...
                X