Overwriting zoom.zcfg configuration during install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwriting zoom.zcfg configuration during install

Every time I update my Zoom Search version, I have been careful to answer "No" to the question of "overwrite zoom.zcfg". Not today. After much swearing, I got a backup of the file, but I suspect others may not be so lucky. If there is not a good reason to overwrite this file, please change the installation defaults to not do so. If the file is overwritten, it would be helpful to back up the existing configuration file -- zoom-bak.zcfg or the like.

The file changes format between versions, as we add new features, so it is often good to get the default values set correctly for new features.

What you should do is save your config under a name that reflects your site and then it will not be overwritten.

e.g. if you site is called www.mysite.com

save the config file as

zoom-mysite.zcfg

this also allows easier management of multiple sites. (where you need a different config file per site).

You're right however. It wouldn't hurt to rename the existing default file to a backup file.

----
    David

Comment

David,

For a good while I used a custom name for the options file, until forgetting sometime this spring. Ah well...

Your point that config file changes come along with new features is one I also wondered about. My situation is that I have significant customizations to the configuration - synonyms, categories, skip lists, etc. - that are more trouble than its worth to enter into a new config file. Could Zoom either read the config file and, if new feature values are missing, add appropriate defaults? Alternatively, is there a method to extract the customizations from one file and apply them to a new one?

Thanks!

Comment

We try to set sensible defaults for missing values. But what is sensible for one person may not suit another person.

It is probably best get to quickly review the config window after a software upgrade to check for new fields.

We also keep a list of what's new here,
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

----
        David

Comment

Working...
        X