• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get the logging to work

Hi,

Windows 2003, Zoom 4.1, ASP

I am getting the following error when i turn logging on,

Unable to write to log file (). Check that you have specified the correct log filename in your Indexer settings and that you have the required file permissions set.
    I was expecting the path and file name to be contained within the brackets, as I have seen with other peoples errors, but it isn't.

I have checked settings.asp and the path is fine and I have given the Internet Guest Account write permissions on the directory but still no luck.

Can anyone offer any suggests?

Cheers

First, you might want to get the latest version (4.2 build 1004) available on our website here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

If you continue to have problems, take a look at this support page, scrolling down in particular for the section entitled "Setting permissions for logging (on a local server)":
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html

Make sure that you have enabled "write" permissions in both the IIS Manager and for the Internet Guest Account.

It is unusual that you did not get the path/filename appearing in the brackets. If this persists with the latest version, let us know and tell us what you have specified as the log filename in the Advanced tab of the Configuration window.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi, thanks for the response, unfortunatley I am still getting the same problem.

I have upgraded to the latest version and checked file permissions both in IIS and in Windows, both give write access to the log folder.

This is where the log is located,

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\sites\adido.org.uk\dolphinstair lifts.com\cms\search\logs\searchwords.log
      http://dolphin.adido.org.uk

I have reverted back to the most basic template for the search results but still no luck.

Comment

I presume the log path you mentioned is the value you have entered in your Configuration window (under the Advanced tab).

Try using the following as your log filepath instead:

Code:
        ./logs/searchwords.log
        This is the recommended default value and from what we can tell, it should work fine for your setup. If this does not work, try the following:

Code:
        /sites/adido.org.uk/dolphinstairlifts.com/cms/search/logs/searchwords.log
        ASP is most likely not mapping the full file path, and requires a path which is relative to the wwwroot or the current file. We'll look into this a bit more as it might be an IIS 6.0 issue, and we will update with more information. In the meantime, let us know if the above filepaths work for you.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for your help Ray all working again now.

Do you know if there are any plans for making the search results page XHTML 1.0 compliant? Currently I have to manually change search.asp to ensure it passes validation.

Comment

The page should already be XHTML 1.1 compliant. What is it that you need to change?

-----
            David

Comment

Logging won't work

I have exactly the same problem, already have the current version of Zoom and accepted the default path/file setting in the configuration panel. And I had my hosting company fix any problems with regard to write permissions at an earlier stage, so I'll be interested to see how you get on.

Comment

gefjo - you might want to give us the URL to your search page and provide more information such as, the exact error message you see, and whether you are using the exact same versions and web server OS as the original poster.

I believe the solution to hooj's problem has already been detailed in the above posts, so if they do not help you, we will need more information to clarify the cause of your particular problem.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Sorry should of explained myself better.

What I meant was that the code could do with being tidyed up with regard to accessibility, i.e. using labels for form controls and putting the results into an ordered list.

Comment

Logging won't work

Raymond,
                    Thanks for considering this. I have version 4.2 build 1004.
                    The url that I'm using to test Zoom is:
                    http://thegef.org/Documents/Council_...f_c27_new.html
                    I haven't had the chance yet to try the alternative URL, as you suggested in response to the original posting.

Comment

Originally posted by hooj
                      What I meant was that the code could do with being tidyed up with regard to accessibility, i.e. using labels for form controls and putting the results into an ordered list.
                      This doesn't actually relate to XHTML validation, but I know what you are getting at. We should note that the current output is actually tidy, validated, XHTML 1.0.

We will consider your suggestion for a markup redesign, but we did weigh out many advantages/disadvantages to come up with what we have. Nonetheless, it's something we can look into for a future version.

gefjo: your issue is different to the original poster's because you are using the CGI version, and you are seeing the actual log path displayed in the error message. It also appears that your web server is IIS, but we can not determine if it is IIS 6.0. Nonetheless, it should be worth checking the last section at the following URL, look for the heading, "Getting logging working for the CGI version on a Windows Server 2003 machine with IIS 6.0":
                      http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html
                      There's an absolute file path suggestion there that would be worth trying. You may need to confirm with your web host, what the physical file path is on the web server.
                      --Ray
                      Wrensoft Web Software
                      Sydney, Australia
                      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Logging won't work

I tried the absolute path and am now in business. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X