Feature Request: Filter results by doc type & refine sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Request: Filter results by doc type & refine sea

I'm a pro user of Zoom Search and currently use it on a city website where we have thousands of PDF files for the agendas and minutes of City Council and Committee meetings.

Its important for us to allow our users to search through those IF they want to, but many people searching our site are looking for information on the web pages instead.

I've messed around with density to allow some of the html results to float to the top before the PDF results, but in some cases this still isn't enough.

What I'd LOVE to see is the ability to allow the user to limit the search results to specific doc types.

I would also very much like to have the ability to refine a search when too many results are returned, by doing a refined search within the result set.

Is there a better place to submit feature requests or is this the proper place?

You have several options, if you are indexing file names, you can include the file name extension as part of the search.

e.g.
    *.pdf meeting minutes

But a better option might be to use the categories feature to put the different document types into their own categories. You would then have a drop down box to select a category from. The users guide as more details about categories.
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

There is no specific feature for searching within results, but you can search within results just by adding words.
    e.g.
    A search for "dog" might return 1000 pages.
    A search for "brown dog" might return just return 5 of the initial 1000 pages

------
    David

Comment

Working...
    X