Category Duplication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Category Duplication

First of all, I'd just like to say how impressed I am with the Zoom Search Engine. It's awesome.

I do have a query though. When you enable categories, you must specifiy a default category. But then you end up with a category appearing twice in the drop down box. For example, if you have 3 categories in your list, then you must specify one of them to be the default category and input the name into the default box. But then that name appears twice (check out www.rising-dragon.co.uk to see what I mean).

You can, or course, remove one of the categories from the list and enter the name of it in the default bow, but then you don't have the all important pattern for it. Does anyone know how to get round this?

Thanks in advance.

All documents that are found must belong to a category.

So the solution in your case is to do what you suggested. Remove one of the categories from your list and enter the name of it in the default box.

You don't need the pattern for the default category, because it will collect all documents that don't match any previous category. It gets all the leftover documents. So if the patterns for the first 2 categories are correct, everything should be fine.

-----
    David

Comment

Multiple categories per file

Here's something that I'm still not sure about. Can one document belong to more than one category?

For example, let's say that you have a web page with multiple product catalogs, among other things. The catalogs are all in PDF format. So there might be a category for "Products" (with a pattern of "products"). Now let's add another category for "PDF files" (with a pattern of ".pdf").

Which category would you need to search, in order to locate a product catalog? Assuming a filename of "catalog.pdf" inside a folder called "products", would either category work? Or would Zoom just assign the file to only one of the categories?

- JW

Comment

Each document will only ever appear in 2 categories. The ALL category and one other category.

Maybe in a future version of the software we might allow the same document to be in multiple categories.

If there is an overlap of the patterns and a single document would match multiple patterns, then the 1st match is used and the others pattens are ignored for that document.

----
        David

Comment

Okay, thank you very much for the reply. I'm going to have to stop using categories altogether in the meantime. Some of my users may end up thinking that the information isn't there at all, when they're really just using the wrong category. Of course, this might never happen... but if it did, then I would have no way of knowing.

Thank you,

- JW

Comment

FYI, if you enable the search logging feature, you will be able to determine exactly how many users have been searching in the wrong categories. The log contains information on the number of matches found, the search query entered, and the category selected.

More information on searchwords logging can be found in the Users Guide:
            http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

And also in our Support section:
            http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Future Version - Same Document w/ Multiple Categories

I hope that you'll come out with that new version soon, with the capability of having the same document w/ multiple categories. It is an extremely important feature and I need such capability soon.

Also, I am having difficulty even having two major categories and I did try many options and I did read through all of your documentation and read all of the pertinent discussions on the forum.

Let's say I have about 1200 .html files. I have one major folder on my site with two subfolders and then each of those is split up into 4 subfolders. Further, each of those 8 subfolders are split up into subfolders with varying amounts. The .html files actually reside in the sub-sub-subfolders.

Ultimately, I want to have two main categories and eight other categories, based on my file structure. This is why I will need your company to make further advancements in the Zoom Search Engine.

After much frustration, I finally tried to simply have two categories, based on the first two subfolders. However, I can't even get that to work and each folder has a distinct name.

I tried to use the instruction that you gave in the following discussion: "Categories: different folders & file extensions," however it didn't work. I did use something like the following: /category1/;.html

Then I put a label on the default category name and this was to catch all in the other of the first two categories, right? Well, it didn't work.

In your documentation, in the program, and on the forum, when giving an "eg" you put your example in quotes, such as "/category1/;.html" and I assume that what you mean is simply /category1/;.html however, again, it doesn't work.

I have tried working with my sub-subfolders too. For instance: /subcategory1/;/subcategory2/;/subcategory3/;/subcategory4/;.html and that didn't work either.

Again, this section of my site is massave and I need to be able to break it down into categories and subcategories. Is there no way for me to customize your search and settings .php files or do something else to get this to work. Please help.

Comment

You are right. The multiple patterns feature could use some additional documentation.

When you enter multiple patterns for a category the patterns are logically OR'ed toegther.

So for example image you have this category.
                Name: Office Documents
                Pattern: .pdf;.doc;.xls
                Description: All office documents and PDF go in here.

This translates to: If the URL to the document contains the text .pdf OR .doc OR .xls then place this document into the Office Documents category.

In your example you have,
                Pattern: /category1/;.html
                Which translates to: If the URL to the document contains the text /category1/ OR .html then place this document into the category.

So if you only have HTML documents (with .html as the file extension) then every single document will land in this one category.

I don't know the names of your directories or files, but I am guessing you could drop the ;.html from your patern and have it work how you want.

-----
                David

Comment

Can't get it to work

David,

I have tried your suggestion, but it still doesn't work. Let me see if I can just give the tree of files (with dummy names):

/category1/
                  /subcategorya/
                  /subsubcategory/
                  .html
                  /subcategoryb/
                  /subsubcategory/
                  .html
                  /subcategoryc/
                  /subsubcategory/
                  .html
                  /subcategoryd/
                  /subsubcategory/
                  .html

/category2/
                  /subcategorye/
                  /subsubcategory/
                  .html
                  /subcategoryf/
                  /subsubcategory/
                  .html
                  /subcategoryg/
                  /subsubcategory/
                  .html
                  /subcategoryh/
                  /subsubcategory/
                  .html

Now, when I put /category1/ into the categories and then just put the name of category2 into the default and run the search, the categories don't work. When I run the search without chosing a category, it works. As soon as I chose a category, it doesn't work.

Comment

Perhaps you should send us your .ZCFG configuration file via e-mail (zoom [at] wrensoft [dot] com). We can then take a closer look at the way you have setup your categories.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X