links from search results page not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• links from search results page not working

A particular website I am trying to index has some sort of cookie or session ID, which means that a user can't access particular pages unless they have come through another page first (Ill call this the 'entry page'). There is no user login required, which is why I suspect it may be a cookie.

I have no trouble indexing these pages, because I can simply visit the page that installs the 'cookie', then start the index.

The problem is that when a user tries to click through to a page, they will get the error:

(when using firefox):
    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01f4'

Variable is undefined: 'iTokenID'

/asp/fullCatalogue.asp, line 40

(when using IE):
    HTTP 500 - Internal server error

If the user has previously visited the entry page, they can refresh the resuling error page (IE) or click at the end of the URL address and hit enter (firefox) and the correct page will display.

To give an example, if you were to search for 'Wakelin' at the search page: http://www.locker227.com, and try to click on the first listed result it would not work. But if you went to this page: http://auctions.lawsons.com.au/asp/auctions.asp
    then selected the paintings option under 'view online catalogue' , then clicked on 'view', then returned to my search page and did the same search you could get to the correct page (even though you may have to refresh the resulting error page).

Obviously, I would prefer if users could get through to the correct page in the first instance, and I have no idea how to make this work. Note that I have no control over this particular website that I am having trouble with.

Sorry for the long email. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes the lawsons.com.au site uses cookies and it seems it just crashes with a VBScript error if the cookie is not set. Which is really a bug on the lawsons.com.au site. It should give a polite warning message or just set a new cookie

If you visit the lawsons.com.au site then type
    JavaScript:alert(document.cookie);
    in the browser window you will see the contents of the cookie, which is.

Lawsons=tokenid=361177;ASPSESSIONIDQAQCCQBR...etc. ..

Thus the lack of the cookie explains the
    Variable is undefined: 'iTokenID'
    message.

I can't think of any easy solution.

I would E-mail them and tell them their site is broken. Not only would it be broken for Zoom. It would also be broken for Google results, book marks, E-mailed links etc...

There probably is some complicated work around, but it might take hours of experimentation to find it.

------
    David

Comment

Thanks David - very helpful. Ill see if I can encourage the website owners to fix the problem before I look for a work-around.

Comment

Working...
      X