Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering synonyms

Hi there,

For the Synonyms tab, where you can add a word and bunch of synonyms of that word (seperated by commas), is there any other way to enter those words and their synonyms, or we can only enter them using the "Add" button?
    What i'm wondering is that if you have a list of 800 words and their synonyms, is there any way to upload a text file or xml file instead of entering them one-by-one??

thank you.

Ali E.

While I don't think there is a way to do that currently, I do like the idea a lot.

In fact, if they could have it import an external file (an export from Excel or something), then perhaps they could also design it to accept compound words or phrases as synonyms.

Right now, the only way to do this is to load up the keywords meta tag on every single web page or .desc file with the alternate phrases that are still relevant. It's a daunting task, particularly when you need to make a change to a phrase - because you have to go through and re-modify all of those meta tags. And then, when you've finally completed the project, you find out that the keywords that you loaded can end up being displayed in the Context Descriptions on the results page. (It ends up looking quite confusing to the end users.)

The synonym feature is awesome, and I really appreciate it. But because most of my synonyms have spaces in them, I'm not able to fully utilize this great feature. Adding compound words / phrases and file import would really help out a lot.

- JW

Comment

Import / Export of word synonyms from / to an external file is certainly a possibility for a future version. It is not possible at the moment.

You are also slightly mixing two features here. Synonyms affect all pages and are thus not assoiciated with any page. Keyword / key phrase association with a particaular page is not exactly the same function.

Synonyms phrases are much harder to implement than word synonyms and could not be done without a lot of work and would mean a significant re-write of the code. So this is not likely to be implmented any time soon.

If you have hundreds of words or phrases or synonyms that you want to associate with hundreds of pages, then there is no magic solution. It doesn't matter if you enter them in XML, in a text file, in Excel, as HTML keywords or in the Zoom configuration. One way or another you have to do the data entry work.

Comment

Working...
      X