Image Indexing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Indexing

If i enable image indexing it will appears with the normal results right?
    Is it then better to make another database and indexing only for images so users can select only images seach like google? I dont want to appear images results on web searches. I suppose making another index is the way to go, can someone posts some websites currently using image indexing as well to see how it looks like. Thanks

Yes it depends on what you want. You can make a single index or multiple sets of index files.

There are details about indexing images here.
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...ins_image.html

But you might have a problem making an index that only images via spidering. This is becuase often you need to spider the HTML pages in order to discover the images files. But it depends on where you images are stored.

Zoom also doesn't auto-generate thumbnails (but can resize images in IE).

So for these two reasons (and probably a few others) you aren't going get something that behaves exactly like Google image search. On the other hand Google probably invested $100M into their image search function.

Here is a example we made up during our testing.

To get the image thumnails into a grid took some CSS trickery.

I don't know if there are many public examples as yet becuase this is fairly new feature.

Comment

Yes i was testing and i think i will need a separated index for images because of this:
      On the web results i want icons to display for pdf, only for pdfs, but dont images, since i only want html and other Text files. But in order to display those icons, (the same icons for all .pdf for example) i need to enable images display in the results, that of course would show me images on the results which i dont want. I created a second config and index only with images extensions, i think it works well, i have a text and html search only where pdf files have a little icon and a images result only. I have tested sites that display mixed results both images and html and its a mess.

I will see more examples like the grid you posted, the icons for pdf displayed at 80x80, i would like a smaller one, i think i will search on how to edit the icons to be smaller. On the images result the images display ok, but with the homepage url of the website instead of the direct image url, i also would need to display the filename. I will see if this is possible and read more on the forums. So far all seems ok. When i make references to Google i dont mean by anyway to emulate google results, the html template, i just mean the Display or output of the results designs, not the results.
      Last edited by nibb; Apr-03-2007, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X