Greek characters with Mac v7 indexer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek characters with Mac v7 indexer

I am in the process of upgrading from Windows v6 to Mac v7 version of Zoom. I frequently use Greek letters and arrow symbols on our web site. The Greek characters were properly displayed and I could search for them with our Windows v6 index files. For example, a search for Manα-2Manα-6 provides results with the α properly displayed on our site at http://www.omicronbio.com. The stats for the search shows 44 results found containing all search terms. In Windows, I specified UTF-8 encoding under the languages tab. Our live site is using the files generated by our Windows v6 Zoom.

Running our new Mac version 7 indexer with OSX 10.10.5, the results for that same search (Manα-2Manα-6) show a diamond with a question mark in the search results where the alpha character should be (with both Firefox and Safari browsers). Furthermore, a search for just Manα-2Manα gets me no results with the Mac v7 index files. That same search on the Windows v6 files gives me 51 results with all the search terms and the alpha is properly displayed. I have set up both versions of Zoom with the same settings for word length, UTF-encoding, skip options, join characters, etc.

A visitor to our site does not need to explicitly use the alpha character α for the results to include this character. A simple search for n-glycans on our site requires the proper display of the alpha character which I code using the decimal character code ampersand#945;

I have specified UTF encoding under the languages tab for the Mac v7 indexing and I am using the same search.php file. I am not sure where else I need to look or what to change to get these characters properly indexed and displayed.

Thank You,
    Nancy Myers

We'll take a closer look at this tomorrow with some Mac testing, but first I should address this:

Originally posted by nmyers View Post
    I have specified UTF encoding under the languages tab for the Mac v7 indexing and I am using the same search.php file.
    If you are inferring that you are using the "search.php" from V6 with your V7 index, then this will not work.

Please make sure to use the V7 "search.php" file with your V7 index. Likewise with all the files listed at the end of indexing in the "Required Files" window. This includes, "settings.zdat" and other .zdat files.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yes, I was using my V6 search.php and search_template.html because I had customized it, but used the 7 other files including settings. I have run the indexer again and let it generate the search.php and search_template.html pages with UTF-8. Using all of the new files, including the newly generated search.php and search_template.html, I still have the Greek character problem. I am not using any of the new features with v7. Version 6 was meeting our needs but I wanted to get the Mac version.
      Thank You for looking into this.
      Nancy

Comment

We've confirmed the problem is in V7 for the Mac (but it's not a problem in V7 for Windows)

The problem is not trivial, and it will be about a week before a fix will be available for the Mac. If this is an issue, contact us by email (see the Contact Us page).
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I would say a week or so would be a very quick fix! V6 also handled beta (β 946), gamma (γ 947), and delta (δ 948 ) I assume those will be included?
          We use arrows, mainly the right arrow #8594, sparingly. That character appears as a space in V6, but just thought I would suggest inclusion for arrows if possible.
          Thank You,
          Nancy
          Last edited by nmyers; Jan-20-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Hi Nancy,

We have a new build out (V7.1 build 1006) with the aforementioned bug fixes for the Mac release. Please download and reinstall from here and let us know if you have any other trouble.
            http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html#osx

Yes, all UTF-8 hexadecimal HTML entities should be fixed. Let us know if you have any trouble.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,
              I have downloaded build 1006 and the Greek characters are looking good.
              Thank you for the speedy fix!
              Nancy

Comment

Working...
              X