or DVD-ROM distribution.
This option utilises client-side scripting and is
recommended for CD-ROMs or any offline distribution where a web-server
is not available.
This is the easiest way to add a search engine that:
- Does not require a web-server
- Does not require any additional software to be installed
- Runs completely offline and does not require a connection to
- Runs on Windows, Macs, and Linux, in most browsers*
- Is royalty-free and allows you to distribute an unlimited
number of CDs or DVDs with the search function created with Zoom.
in Zoom before indexing. The one Zoom package supports all five
If you are adding a search engine to a website which is hosted
on a web server, you should use Zoom with either the PHP,
ASP, or CGI search
option, (eg. over 30,000 files), you should take a look at our FAQ
regarding alternative solutions which allow you to run the CGI
search option without a web server.
For indexing your website, you will require a computer with
- Windows XP SP2 or later, Server 2003, Vista, or Server 2008
- Internet Explorer
5.5 or later
- 64 megs of memory (more memory is required to index larger sites)
- At least 30 megabytes of available disk space
*For online searching,
with Internet Explorer 5.0 and above, Netscape 4.0 or higher,
Mozilla 1.6, Opera 7.0 and many others)
Other platform options supported
Zoom can also search on the following platforms, at the click of
- PHP search option for server-side searching
(hosting a web site or local Intranet) on an Apache or IIS server
with PHP support.
- ASP search option for server-side searching
on most IIS servers with ASP support.
- ASP.NET search option for server-side searching
on .NET based websites.
- CGI search option for high performance,
enterprise-scale searching. Server-side, but some
solutions exist which allow it to run off a CD or DVD without