Recommended links problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended links problem

I have created two recommended links that have the same title and description that are associated with two different key word/phrase. I was expecting to see just one depending on the key word/phrase entered but both are appearing in the Recommended Links box. Here are the entries:

Reading Series|http://www.scilearn.com/prod2/ffr/main=home|Fast ForWord to Reading|Developing the cognitive skills to reach grade level standards and beyond.
    Reading|http://www.scilearn.com/prod2/ffr/main=home|Fast ForWord to Reading|Developing the cognitive skills to reach grade level standards and beyond.

For search term reading, the second entry appears. For search terms reading series, both entries appear. I would expect the opposite to happen but actually thought it was going to do exact matching.

Thanks.

That's correct behaviour. The recommended links are matched by the individual words in your query first, and then it attempts to match the whole query as one phrase. So in your case, you only need the second entry (for the keyword "Reading") because a search for either 'reading' or 'reading series' will match this.

And note that the field you enter in the recommended links for "Keyword or phrase" can only contain either a single keyword, or a single phrase. It does not contain multiple keywords, which is what you would be implying with your expectation of "reading series" also matching a search for "reading".
    Last edited by Ray; Dec-14-2006, 11:40 PM.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I take it from this post that there is no way to have the recommended list be an exact phrase match.

I am using the recommended list in a unique way and would like to be able to match an exact phrase to the list.

The reason for this is beacuse I am trying to match city and states to people searches. If someone does a search for "Albany, New York" I want it to match to the recommended list link of "albany new york" and not to all the recommended links that contain any of those words. I am sure you can see that if it matches ANY word then there would be a lot of recommended links but idealy only two are needed. "Albany New York" (city match) and "New York" (state match).

Is there any way I can get this behaviour?

Comment

Actually, you may have misunderstood the example before. The recommended links list is specified for either a single keyword, or a phrase. The distinguishing feature between the two being that, one contains only one word, and the other contains multiple words.

So if you create an entry for "Albany New York" (a phrase), this would indeed only match searches for "albany new york", and not match searches for "new york", nor "albany" or "new".

But if you create a recommended links entry for "albany" (single keyword), then this would match searches for "albany", "albany new york", "new york albany", etc.

I just had a look at your config files you sent us via email, and it seems like you may have created more recommended links than you need. I'll write back regarding that in more detail through e-mail.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

so, let me get this straight...

So, as I would like users to be able to search for "collective" or "agreement" or "collective agreement" and turn up one recommended link. From what I understand above, there is no way to do this right? (short of modifying the search form...)

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

You'll need a recommended link for "collective", and one for "agreement". This does mean that when searching for "collective agreement", you will see both links. We are considering adding some changes in for a future build, to not display multiple recommended links to the same URL (at least not one after the other). I believe that would solve your problem?
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X