Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special chars not showing up right in cgi search

Hi,
    I have the enterprise edition and I am indexing UTF-8 html content with the Unicode char set selected in the Language config tab.

This source content sometimes has a lot of ® and © symbols in it. Serving the html will show the chars just fine. But when searching using the CGI search, and a result has one of these chars., it will show up as a "�" or a "?" in internet explorer, firefox, and opera; Windows and Linux.

I have used both indexer 5.0 build 1000 and 1001. Is there some way to have these show up fine?

Thanks,
    D

Do the copyright symbols appear in the HTML source as character entities or as ordinary characters? A HTML character entity looks like this, "©".

Are you sure that the search template file is also UTF-8?

What font set are you using on the result page? Arial or something more obscure?

Can you post the URL to the search function and / or the source document, so that we can see the problem. It makes it much easier to investigate.

Comment

Hi again,
      Those were some really good suggestions. We tried them all, but to no avail:

Used character entities and ordinary chars all in UTF-8.
      Our font was Arial.
      The template was UTF-8; we also tried the default template.
      We used a different web server. (first was shttpd, second apache)
      The encoding under the Launguage tab in the indexer was still set to UTF-8

We set up a test here:
      http://www.gogroundline.com/cgi-bin/Linux_search.cgi

Most the links will not work because we only indexed one page. If you do a search for 'Groupwise', the problem will show up.

I am attaching a piece of one of the documents that show this error. It is found as 'test.html' in the accompanying zip file. The index files are also attached.

Thanks,
      D
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dbuck; Jan-10-2007, 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

We've confirmed the problem in the latest build (5.0.1001) where copyright, trademark and various symbols may not appear correctly in the context description on an UTF-8 page. This will be fixed in the upcoming new build (5.0.1002).
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks!

D

Comment

Working...
          X