Trying Free Trial but get a 404 results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Free Trial but get a 404 results

I am using php with NetObjects Fusion to Hostasaurus, my site provider, which is Apache. The form is showing but search results show a 404 no results found. (Prgram says I uploaded files throug wrensoft ftp successfully.) I've been looking through help files but don't see the problem. Uploading went fine. The site I am trying it out on are www.CheckMateAviation.com.

Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to decide whether to buy this or not.

When your server send a 404 error (page not found), this means that the server could not find the file in question.

So my guess is that either,
    1. You uploaded all the search files to a different location (e.g. a sub-directory, or a level above the web site root folder).
    2. Your server doesn't support PHP at all. You can check with your hosting company if PHP is supported.

Comment

Did a quick-guess and found that your search files were actually uploaded to the "search" subfolder as opposed to the root folder. So David's first guess was right.

Your search page is here:
      http://www.checkmateaviation.com/search/search.php

However, your custom search form is pointing to here:
      http://www.checkmateaviation.com/search.php

Fix the URL in your search form accordingly, and it should work.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yep. You're right.

Much of the confusion was my not realiizing that no pages will show in a browser above the /html directory structure even though they can be seen with ftp. As soon as I put the search folder under the html directory and corrected the path in ZoomSearch all worked well.

Now, on to seeing why only my home page is listed. I have a feeling it is because the seach is in the left frame. I have added a target="layout" which is the name of my main content pages to see if that works.

Thanks for being so patient.

Comment

When I last looked at your search page (5 or so hours ago, when I made the post above), it was returning several dozen pages as results. Now however, it is only returning 1 page. This means that since my last post, you must have changed your indexer configuration and re-indexed your site. If you can recall what changes you have made, this would probably help you to work out what's gone wrong.

Here are some FAQs that may be of assistance:
          Q. Why are some of my pages being skipped by the indexer?
          Q. I am indexing with spider mode but it is not finding all the pages on my web site
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

You guys have been patient and I appreciate that, but

Thanks Ray. I have tried everything I know including "external" files and even added a site map. Still not working well. My "test", and need, is to make sure when someone types in Piper or Cessna that they see the pages that show the models listed that are available. I can't get it to do that so for now I may have to take it off my site. (No results is better than false results.)

I use NetObjects Fusion and I see the link to Lansrad which talks about the pecularities of NOF. Perhaps that is the problem? I'll look at that at some point but for now I have to kinda give up. I had no idea this would be that time consuming or intricate. I've spent about 8 hours on this. NOF has a search feature that I may have to just limp by with.

You and David have been patient and helpful and I appreciate that. Since the program was such a good deal on Bits du Jour I am happy to pay for it any way. If anything else comes to mind for me to try please let me know.

Thanks,
            Rich

Comment

If you don't have it on your site we can't see the problem. I really doubt you were getting 'false' results. You might have been getting results where the page you want as the #1 result, appears as the #2 or #3 results. But this is easily corrected, if in fact this was the problem.

Unless we know what the problem is it is hard to comment if it is related to NetObjects Fusion.

Comment

OK, I'm willing to keep trying if you are. It's still up. I was eating up your time as well. I know I need to do more studying and reading but I've really toyed with the config a lot with little change. And you are right, they aren't false returns but incomplete, thus inaccurate. I don't want customers to miss the pages where they can select their model.

So, if you have something you want me to try let me know. In the meantime, I'll keep reading.

Thanks.

Comment

I'll just come over...

I should just come to Sydney! I'm envious! I weary of the U.S. and it's bullshit politics. On BOTH sides!! Aristotle said "people get the government they deserve". The apathy here is nausiating. OK, I'm done.

Comment

I'm diving in Lansrad's NOF tutorial. Back later.

Comment

If your problem is incomplete results, then I don't think the Lansrad's NOF tutorial will help. But it will certainly cost you some time.

I would think that you are better off reading the two FAQ pages Ray posted (see above). Then if it is not obvious why the pages in question are not appearing in the search results. Post the URL to the pages and your current config settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X