Search Prompting for Password?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Prompting for Password?

I am running a Windows 2000 server with IIS 5. I did an offline index in CGI mode. I upload the files to the server and test it from my office (the computer that did the indexing) and it works great.

If I go to another computer and try to access the search.cgi I get prompted for authentication. It seems only the administrators on the server are authenticated through. What I am I doing wrong?

There is nothing in any of our search scripts that prompts for a password. So the password prompt must be generated as a result of some other script you have installed or permissions that you have set on the server.

Comment

I finally got it to work and I am not sure if it is a flaw in IIS 5 or something that needs to be amended in the IIS instructions but I had to give the cgi file "traverse folder / execute file" permissions.

Comment

I may have spoken too soon. The initial search page comes up and results of a search are displayed but if we try to go to the next page of results we are prompted for authentication again. Any suggestions?

Comment

These are entirely issues with your IIS authentication setup. We cannot really make any meaningful comment without knowing your web server setup in detail and how you have configured authentication on your site. It would seem to me that you might have some conflicting user permissions, and perhaps you have different authentication requirements for the CGI folder and the rest of your files which are linked from the search page.

If you haven't already, you should read this FAQ:
          Q. I need help setting up binary CGI support for my Windows IIS server
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I also came across this problem. For me, I had my authentication setup properly in IIS but in the NTFS rights I had only given the folder these files were in the proper rights. I needed to give the files themselves the rights as well. In the advanced security settings for the folder i just checked: "Allow inheritible permissions ...etc" and that fixed my problem.

Comment

Working...
            X