Problem getting results hyperlinks to work on shared hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem getting results hyperlinks to work on shared hard drive

I have built a local intranet which essentially is a series of web pages accessed via a shared drive on the network rather than the site being published on a server.
    I have succesfully installed and indexed my files but am having problems getting the results hyperlinks to work. The site accesses (and zoom has indexed) files in folders elsewhere on the PC. These files show up OK in the search results but when I try to click on the hyperlink all I get is an empty broswer page. If I look at the properties of the hyperlink it thinks the results files are in the web site rather than being in the source folders
    How do I get these hyperlinks to work?
    Thanks for all suggestions

hi

did you put http:// at the start of the links ?? wen you was indexing them?
    (e.g http://www.sdmsearch.co.uk)

what are you using to search php or cgi or asp or java ?

if you did that then you may have to edit the search file

let me know thanks

Comment

problems with results

Thanks for the reply, I probably misled you a bit calling the search results hyperlinks, all they are really are paths to documents already existing elsewhere on the PC.
      As I said before,the target files and documents do index OK using Java and they do come up in the results, it is just that if I right click on a particular result and look at properties, then the properties think the selected file is in the web folder (which it is not) rather than the folder it is actually in, therefore if I try to open the file it just opens an empty browser window.

Comment

[Note: You posted the original quesion twice. I have deleted the duplicate and merged the other posts. But now the flow of the responses seems somewhat strange. PLEASE post a question only once in the future].

Zoom, once configured, should automatically generate the correct URLs.

What setting are you using in Zoom? (Offline mode or Spidermode? base URLs, CGI or Javascript etc..).

Can you give an example of what is a correct URL to your files, and what the incorrect URL is in the search results.

Have you considered installing a web server, like Apache, in order to have a real intranet, rather than having just a collection of shared files?

Comment

Sorry about the delay in replying, I have been away.
          Here is an example of a url generated by the search results
          file:///C:/PUBLISHED_INTRANET/intranet/Clinical%20Guidelines/NICE%20Type%202%20Diabetes%20Guidelines.doc
          but of course the browser does not recognise that as a url
          I used java to generate the index is there a workround that can get round this problem?
          I was wondering about Apache, but I am a total newbie to this and I can't find an idiot's guide to installing Apache, - any suggestions please?

Comment

I have the same type of setup here. It's a company intranet saved on a server drive, but not hosted. it sounds like you have your hyperlinks coded incorrectly.

I have all the search files in the root folder of my site and by doing so I don't need to add a full path to my files (hyperlinks). For example:

I have mainpage.htm, page1.htm and search.htm in root and page2.htm in a folded in root named Pages.

If I edit mainpage.htm to have a link to page1.htm I code it as: <a href="page1.htm">Page 1</a>

If I edit mainpage.htm to have a link to page2.htm, I code it as: <a href="Pages/page2.htm">Page 2</a>

Hope this helps, if not post back and I can try to help more.

Dan

Comment

Les, you didn't answer David (wrensoft)'s questions above. We can be more helpful if you can answer the relevant questions.

For example, if you are using Offline Mode, you are likely to have an incorrect base URL specified.

If you are using Spider Mode, then what is your start URL? It may not be the most appropriate mode or setting for what you are trying to do.

Originally posted by leswaller View Post
              Here is an example of a url generated by the search results
              file:///C:/PUBLISHED_INTRANET/intranet/Clinical%20Guidelines/NICE%20Type%202%20Diabetes%20Guidelines.doc
              but of course the browser does not recognise that as a url
              That is a legitimate URL by the way. It is a URL that specifies the file is on your local C: drive hard disk, under the "PUBLISHED_INTRANET" folder.

One (of many) possible scenarios that would lead to this is if you are using spider mode, and the actual pages you have on your intranet have hard coded links like these. As I've said, these are legitimate URLs. They're just locked down to a certain computer usually, and won't work across the network. So you may have pages that have "broken" links (only when accessed from over the network, and not on the machine that has the files) that you do not realize.

Again, all of the above information might be irrelevant if you're not using Spider Mode. So I hope you understand how important it is that we get the facts straight first before we can offer you meaningful advice.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

problems with accessing results

Raymond
                Sorry if I am not giving you the correct information, this is all very new to me and I don't really understand the principles behind the prgram as I am not a techie.
                No I am not using spider mode as I was told that as the intranet is not hosted and published as such, then I should use the offline mode. The indexing works OK and a specific search from a browser page produces results with file names and paths. However when I click on any of the results links I just end up with an empty browser page. This happens whether or not I am doing it from the PC with all the files on, or from a PC on the network.
                Please can give you give me an idiots guide to what I should be doing?
                Many thanks
                Les

Comment

Hi Dan
                  Not sure what you mean, but my search.htm is already in the root of a set of folders containing the various pages. This is called published_intranet.
                  Hence the path is C:/published_intranet/search.htm.
                  Les

Comment

It sounds like you have entered in an incorrect base URL.

Refer to chapter 2.1.6 of the Users Guide for more information.

You should most likely be using a relative URL (such as "./" if all your search files are to be hosted in your start folder), or an absolute URL such as "file:///C:/published_intranet/". Appendix B of the Users Guide explains things further if you need an introduction to relative paths.

Given the information you have posted, I suspect that you need to use "./" as your Base URL (you will need to reindex). If you still have problems, look up the above referenced information.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X