PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyway to index site from server rather than desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway to index site from server rather than desktop?

Hi,

We have zoom search setup on a client site and it works great, but we don't want to be burdened with having to manually re-index the site from our computers. I know that you can set the program to automatically index and upload but we are looking for a more permanent "hands off" solution that is self-contained. Even if it means they have to "click here to re-index" from the backend.

Does anyone know if we have any options with this or are we stuck with using the desktop gui?

If you have a Windows server (and actually control the server) then there is no reason why you can't install the indexer directly on the server and schedule it on the server.

We have a lot of customers doing this. Some of them also use remote desktop to control the machine(s).

Comment

If you wanted to script a page which allows you to "click here to reindex", you would do so using the command-line parameters as described here:
      Q. How do I use the command line options with the Zoom Indexer?

As mentioned above, this would only apply for Windows web servers.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

unfortunately we don't have direct access to our windows server, it is in a shared environment

we do have direct access to a Linux box, is there a Linux port of the indexer or does anyone have experience trying to get it to work with WINE?

Comment

See these FAQs.
          Q. Does Zoom run on Linux, Mac, BSD, ... ?
          Q. Is there a Linux, Mac, BSD, etc.. version of the indexer?

We haven't tried using Wine. But I be a little surprised if it just worked.

Comment

Working...
          X