Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom fails to start with Dreamweaver MX2004

Hello everyone,

I downloaded the latest version of the free Zoom Dreamweaver extension to test. All seamed to go well on install, no error message or anything alike. I also read the procedure to do this right. Done all according to the PDF but for some reason, I fail to understand, nothing happens when I click on the Index Site with Zoom Search Engine. I see the splash page that the Zoom is starting and then nothing. I checked to see if it was started and I have 2 different instances of the zoomindexer.exe files started in the Task Manager, one of 2656k and the other 5560k.???

I will keep trying to figure this out by reading further but any help at this stage would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zoom (the standalone software package) can work with any HTML editor.

The Dreamweaver extension is an alternative to the standalone package. The current exension is based on V5.1 build 1007 of Zoom and will only work with Dreamweaver MX and Dreamweaver 8. If you have older versions of Dreamweaver, then we suggest using the standalone package of Zoom.

However, an older build of the extension (which supported DW 4.0) is still available here: Zoom Dreamweaver Extension with DW 4.0 support (Build 3.1.1015). You can download and use this, but note that V3 is now REALLY old and won't very well, if at all, on newer Vista systems. We would strongly suggest NOT using it, and instead use the standalone package.

Comment

Thanks for responding so fast!
      I unistalled the extension to be on the safe side.
      Installed the stand alone one like you suggested.
      no installation problems or errors.
      When i click the ZoomIndexer icon that installed on my desktop, I see the splash screen and the same has I previously mentioned.

If it makes a difference to know this:
      I have Windows XP PRO service pack 2
      I use IE6 and 7, Firefox2, Netscape8.1, Opera9.25.
      I must be overlooking something, somewhere, somehow?
      Even though I'm a newby with search engine, I'm somewhat very familiar with the rest.

I read the setup Online, the PDF. Search the Forum, FAQ's.
      I just can't seam to find anything I'm doing wrong.

My next step is to try to run it to my XAMMP local server with the cgi-bin but I only wanted to test the search set up, so the javascript version would have been enough for the moment.

Anyway I'm rambling here.
      If you come up with other ideas please let me know.
      Appreciated
      I will keep trying, it looks like it could really be something I would like to use on my next website coming up soon.

Thanks Mr. Wrensoft from down under
      Have a good day.

Comment

Ok, after a few new install I got it to work.

For others with the same issue. I did nothing different in my install but after a few try it worked.

Thanks Mr. Wrensoft for a swift reply.

Comment

I don't know what the problem was. Maybe you were still running the old DX entension. Or maybe as the tasks appeared in task manager, maybe the main window was in fact opening, but it might have been open off screen, and not visible. If anyone else sees the same problem try deleting the .ini file. In Vista it is here,
          C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer\zoom.ini
          XP has a similar but not identical path to the file.

Comment

Well, I have the same problem again.
            It opened great for 1 shot. I could see and index in javascript.
            That was so cool. You have a great software, I love it.
            As for the DX, no I don't think because I always clean the registry, wipe caches and so on, when I remove software just for that reason.
            Just have to figure the bug on my side to make it work all the time.
            Oh! I removed the zoom.ini with no change. Maybe I should upgrade to Vista
            If I find someway to make it work all the time I will post here to help others
            and in the meantime if you find something let me know.
            I have to say you have great support and the turn around is awsome!
            Path for XP is: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer\zoom.ini
            Thanks very much.

Comment

It is a long week-end here, but on Tuesday, we can send you a debug build to try and locate where the problem is.

But in the meantime, there are these recent problems which a smailar to yours.
              There was also this DEP problem.
              And there was the 3rd party System Mechanic software causing grief.
              You don't have System Mechanic installed do you?

Comment

Defenitely, if it can help I will try the debug built.

I also checked the DEP and mine is already set up right so the zoomindexer,exe did't install in there.

I can't stand system mechanic, it's a hog for resources. Had it last year on my machine...Hmm! will double check to see if there are some remnant somewhere. That could be it. I just double check about system mechanics and I have no lingering services.
                Again thanks for all the help.

Comment

Here are some links to Iolo's knowledge base articles on performing a "thorough uninstall" of System Mechanic:
                  How to perform a thorough uninstall of System Mechanic 7®
                  How to perform a thorough uninstall of System Mechanic 7 Professional®

There are more articles on their site for different versions of System Mechanic. If you look at our previous thread, theres more details about the sorta problems System Mechanic causes and what people are doing about it.

You might also want to try it on another machine where System Mechanic has not been installed.

If you still have trouble starting Zoom, contact us via e-mail and we could send you debug builds or get more information etc.
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Update: webdragon777 and ourselves have looked at the problem further, and it turns out there were still some registry entries left behind by Iolo's System Mechanic despite his previous attempts at uninstalling it (in this case, they were in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Iolo"). Once he was able to remove all traces of the System Mechanic software, the problem went away.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X