Working with encrypted links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with encrypted links

Some of the index/table of contents pages in my e-book site have their links encrypted with javascript to prevent clipping by offline browsers. I suspect this would thwart the Zoom Search spider's indexing process. Will Zoom Search work if I temporarily replace these files with files that have non-encrypted links (so they can be indexed) and then after indexing replace the files again with the encrypted-link version?

Along similar lines, will Zoom Search still work if all the content is in a access restricted folder?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

I can't say for sure without seeing the site. But Javascript does cause problems for spiders.

Yes, as long as the URLs don't change you can swap encrypted files for non-encrypted files.

See this FAQ for details about indexing password protected pages.
    Q. How do I index protected parts of my website requiring user authentication?

Comment

Originally posted by aschecht View Post
      Will Zoom Search work if I temporarily replace these files with files that have non-encrypted links (so they can be indexed) and then after indexing replace the files again with the encrypted-link version?
      This will work fine. An alternative would be to index these files from a different folder (skipping the original encrypted files) and then using the "Rewrite links" option (on the "Indexing Options" tab of the Configuration window) to modify the URLs indexed so that they point to the original files. See the Help file for more details.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray. This approach could save me a lot of extra work.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
        X