Use offline folder for .desc files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use offline folder for .desc files

hello, im intenting to learn how "Use offline folder for .desc files" this option work is that means i can named any doc pdf or other supprted files with my own title and description or i misunderstood something?
    im doing this steps:
    1,checked the option in zoom config
    2,create text with meta as follow:
    <title>custom title</title>
    <meta name="description" content="custom description">
    3,save file as "name_of_pdf_i_findit_online.pdf.desc"
    4,indicate path to file in zoom
    5,index http://somesite.com/name_of_pdf_i_findit_online.pdf
    6,ftp everything up
    7,search any word that contain this pdf to see they custom title and custom description

and nothing happens the file.pdf still have the same orginall name do i miss something? or maybe i misunderstood funcionality of this option please?

thank you very much for your help in advance
    ewa

i read this: http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075
    i read faq: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_plugins.html i try it to name .desc files with and without www try it pdf link and youtube link... "reload all files..." is checked what else im missing please?
    thank you very much for your help in advance
    ewa

Comment

If you have not done so, in the Configuration > Scan Options tab > Scan Extensions panel, add the .pdf extension, select it and click Configure. In the PDF indexing options window, click the "Use description (.desc) files" checkbox.

Also, two things about the .desc file:
      1. There can be no line breaks within the content of either of those tags. (If in Notepad with Word Wrap disabled, there should be only two lines.)
      2. There can be be no "smart quotes" (the left curly and right curly quotes usually introduced in MS Word) used in this file.

Good luck,
      Leon

Comment

thank you very much leon, the case was as you say (pdf config) thanks a loot this was very helpful
        ewa

ps. why then is not working for example with youtube? in this example david shows a normall php link which ends without extension, youtbe links ends with letters.
        or .desc works only with .doc and .pdf? anyway

thank you again for your help
        ewa

Comment

Note that .desc files are only available for "plugin supported file formats". The feature in question is actually labelled thus:

Use this offline folder for all plugin .desc files:
          When spidering plugin supported files on remote websites, you can enable the above option to use .desc files located in an offline folder
          So the .DESC file option is only available for PDF, DOC, PPT, XLS, ... etc.

The example given by David in the thread you linked to refers to a PHP download script which returns a PDF file. I hope that clears things up.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

thank you ray, this make me understand much better
            thank you very much
            ewa

Comment

Working...
            X