File download - Security warning opening CGIFront end from web page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File download - Security warning opening CGIFront end from web page

Is is possible to prevent this security warning from activating when opening cgifrontend from a web page ?
    File Download - Security Warning
    Do you want to run or save .........

You would not normally link to the CGIFrontEnd from a web page. Can you descibe your project in a bit more detail? Maybe there is an alternative solution.

But in answer to your specific question, No. Newer browsers will always display a message like this when downloading an executable file.

Comment

File Download Security Warning

On my home page I have a link to begin searching. Are you saying that I shouldn't start the search this way......?????

href="..\Documents%20and%20Settings\Me\My%20Docume nts\Wrensoft\Zoom%20Search%20Engine%20Indexer%20CG I%20FE\CGIFrontEnd.exe">Knowledge Base Search</a><o></o></span></p>
      <p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:Arial'><a
      href="Data/Data%20Home%20Page.htm">Data</a> page – Information pertaining
      to, and about, CTI, <o></o></span></p>
      ...............etc., etc.

Comment

Is this for an Internet website? Or an Intranet website to be accessed only by people on your network?

If it is an internet website, you should be using server-side scripting or the CGI without the front-end. For an Intranet site, you should consider hosting a web server on the network. The link you describe will not work for anyone but yourself (on your own computer).

Please describe your project in more detail (where is this web page hosted, how will your users be accessing these files, etc.). As mentioned before, the security is a part of the web browser, and there is little you can do to prevent it. The question is whether you are using the most appropriate platform for your situation, or whether there is something more suitable.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

File download Security Warning

It's pretty basic. I'm the only one using the site and it's only on my computer. I use it as a technical library, full of technical documents (pdf, doc, txt...) and notes. There are about 70,000 unique words in the index and maybe 300 files (and growing).

Encapsulating the CGI in a front end seems to be working quite well. Is this the best configuration for my situation, or would you suggest another?

Run-of-the-mill computer: XP, 512M, 80G HD, IE 7.0...

Comment

If it's only for your own use then, of course, whatever you prefer is the best choice We ask, because this is pretty rare, usually people setup search pages for other users, and they may be accessed in a variety of ways (from CDs, Intranet web servers, etc.)

The only problem with linking to the FrontEnd as you describe, is what you mentioned in your original post. This will happen whenever you try to launch an executable (.exe file) from the browser. There's some discussion online regarding launching EXE files from a browser, but generally the security warning can't be avoided without resorting to crude methods (typically employed by malware and viruses).

If it is only to be launched on your computer though, maybe you'd be better off with a shortcut on your desktop?

If you really prefer integrating it within an existing web page, then you should consider hosting a web server (which is not as hard as it seems, IIS comes with Windows and can be enabled by a few checkboxes). Then you can have the CGI launch within the browser as opposed to needing a separate frontend all together.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X