Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta description and context description are the same

Hi:

When i search on one particular word/sentence, the search result shows different hyperlinks but the meta description and the context description remain the same. can you please let me know as to what could be causing the problem?

Many Thanks!

Regards,
    Tanuja

Maybe the content on all the pages in question are the same. So the results all look very similar?

Another explanation might be a corrupted set of index files.

Comment

If you can give us a URL to your search page, we can take a look.

I would suspect that your pages might actually have the same meta description. And if the word you are searching for only matches in that common meta description, then your context description would appear the same as well. Try different search words, preferably for words that don't appear on the same pages, and see what happens. Give us a URL to the page if you want us to take a closer look.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

You can use the URL www.johncrane.co.uk. Search for words like 'Mechanical', 'environmental' all of them come up with the same meta description and content description.

Comment

You have several issues

1) You have not been consistent in using upper and lower case for your URL links. So you have some very similar URLs. Like these two,
          http://www.johncrane.co.uk/Home.asp?r=uk&l=en
          http://www.johncrane.co.uk/home.asp?r=uk&l=en
          Note the case difference in "Home". URLs are case sensitive so you need to be consistent in their use on your site.

If you don't want to fix the URLs then using the CRC option in Zoom can help remove these pages with different URLs but identical content.

2) As suggested in my initial post, all the pages I looked at on your site have the save meta data on them. Which is,

<meta name="description" content="John Crane is the acknowledged leader
          and world's largest of mechanical seals together with design, manufacturer, and supplier of....Contact John Crane for more information">

<meta name="keywords" content="Mechanical Seals, johncrane, Mechanical, Mechanical Sealing, engineered, Seal, packing, Cselect, Safeunit, Gasket, Spring, Separator, ...SmartFlow, John Crane Today, ">

You should pick a unique meta description and keywords that describe each page uniquely. This will also help improve the search function accuracy as well.

3) You are indexing you navigation menu. Which means a lot of the content on each page is the same. You can avoid this by using ZOOMSTOP tags.

4) You have a corrupted set of index files, as indicated by the error message on your search page,
          "Error: Page number too big. Make sure ALL index files are updated."

Comment

Many Thanks for your assistance.

I am still finding some problem when searching for regional language words. For example, when you click on the hyperlink http://www.johncrane.co.uk/home.asp?r=cs&l=cs and search for the Czech language word "potravinářský" in the search option available on the home page, there seems to be some strange characters appearing and the search does not display any results. Athough, the information is available on the website, there is no results displayed for the word.

please assist and let me know as to why these strange characters appear?

Regards,
            Tanuja

Comment

These Czech language problems would appear to be unrelated to the problems you raised in the initial post.

1) You appear to be using an old version of the software 5.0 (1001). You should upgrade to the current release.

2) You appear to have wrapped our search script in your own ASP script. Maybe using the instructions here? But you seem to have missed or ignored the instruction about changing the contents of "search_template.html" appropriately. And now you have invalid HTML on the search results page (e.g. two sets of <head> tags).

3) You appear to have character set issues. See this page for general instructions. But the problem might be in your script not ours. It is hard to know without access to all your source code and doing some analysis. Can you revert to just using our unmodifed script to see how it works.

Comment

Working...
              X