Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing on Separate Production Server

Hello,

I currently manage 4 websites on 1 server: development, testing, acceptance and production. I am looking at putting production on it's own server. The directory structure is the same for the 4 websites. I have configured Zoom to automatically index the 4 sites, so there are 4 config files created each with a unique name. Each website also has a unique name.

My question is: Once the production code is put onto a different server, how do I index it if Zoom is on the server where the other 3 sites are? Do I need to buy another license? I know there is a "Upload Files to Server dialog", but since my code is on the production server and not where Zoom is, I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

I presume you are currently running the Indexer on the existing server.

First thing I should clarify is that you do not necessarily need to have the Indexer on the server hosting the files you want to index. It depends on other requirements, such as whether your website files are accessible across the network.

If your new production server is on the same local network as the existing server, then it should be a quite simple matter of changing the Output Directory to the network shared path, and the Start URL/directory if necessary. That is, you could run the Indexer on your existing server, index the files across the network, and have it write out the files to the new server.

If the new server isn't accessible directly, you may still be able to do this with HTTP and FTP.

If there is absolutely no way you can access one server from the other, or you must have the ability to start and run the Indexer on the two separate servers independently (e.g. you may want to have both servers indexing their respective sites at the same time), then you would need to install another copy, and in which case, you would need a new license. Also see this FAQ:
    Q. What are the licensing policies for Zoom?
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X