FTP uploads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP uploads

Sometimes, after completing a successful indexing job, the automatic FTP upload fails because Zoom is unable to open a connection to the website. I this situation, Zoom terminates.

Ideally, I would like to be able to retry the connectoin automatically - the problem is usually caused by a slow response by the server at certain time of day. At very least, I would like to be able to use Zoom to complete the upload manually because of its in-built capacity to upload files with temporary names to a live site, renaming them when the transfer is complete. As far as I can tell, I cannot use Zoom in this way without re-running the indexing stage.

Are these functions possible in 5.1.0017 and have I missed something. If not, can they be considered for 6.x?

thanks

There is an option to manually upload the files after a failed attempt. The option is under the Tools menu in Zoom.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewD View Post
      Sometimes, after completing a successful indexing job, the automatic FTP upload fails because Zoom is unable to open a connection to the website. I this situation, Zoom terminates.
      Do you mean that Zoom quits automatically? Are you using Zoom in an automated/scheduled context? If you are running Zoom manually, it shouldn't quit when the FTP fails.

But yes, if you mean that Zoom is closed and reopened, then you won't be able to upload the files from a previous session.

We could well change this behaviour in V6. We can check if the files already exist in the output directory and allow you to upload them if they are. There's a slight risk that the user might have multiple config files writing to the same output directory, and the user may unintentionally upload the wrong files - but we could throw up a warning message and tell them to check.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
        Do you mean that Zoom quits automatically? Are you using Zoom in an automated/scheduled context? If you are running Zoom manually, it shouldn't quit when the FTP fails.

But yes, if you mean that Zoom is closed and reopened, then you won't be able to upload the files from a previous session.

We could well change this behaviour in V6. We can check if the files already exist in the output directory and allow you to upload them if they are. There's a slight risk that the user might have multiple config files writing to the same output directory, and the user may unintentionally upload the wrong files - but we could throw up a warning message and tell them to check.
        It's being run as a batch job, not manually, and the job terminates if it can't make the ftp connection. Ideally, as you suggest, we need the possibility to manually upload the files that were generated in the batch job, but the batch job itself should also have the chance to connect several times before stopping.

Comment

Working...
        X