Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please with Stop and Restart

Hi,
    I am trying to build the stop and restart tags onto a test page to get an idea about them before applying them sitewide. No luck so far.

I think I have followed all the info in the manual and the related topics on this forum; however, something is not quite alright as the page is not being indexed.

The test page is here:
    http://www.newcharter.co.uk/seek/index.asp
    As you may notice from the source code, I have excluded all the nick-nacks of the page by enclosing the tags
    [<!--ZOOMSTOP--><!--ZOOMSTOPFOLLOW--> and the restart ones <!--ZOOMRESTARTFOLLOW--><!--ZOOMRESTART-->]
    I have also cleared the cache and checked the 'Reload all files' box as well.

I am only interested, as per logic of the tags, to get the 'main' content of the page indexed and nothing else.

The main content is enclosed in the <div id="main"> section.

Having done the above, the search for the unique words on that page returns nothing.

What am I doing wrong? What should I do to get this right?

Any help with the above will be greatly appreciated.

[Zoom v5.1, Build 1015, Enterprise Edition, using asp on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2]
    Thank you.

I tested the page and it worked how you wanted. Just the text in the main div got indexed (plus the meta keywords). Maybe you fixed the problem since making this post?

But you might not want the to use the ZOOMSTOPFOLLOW tags, as this will prevent the spider finding links to other pages on your site.

If when you do a search, you don't find the key words on this page, then maybe you are doing a search with an old set of index files.

Comment

Hi,
      Thank you for your kind reply.
      However, still no joy. The page does not get indexed here at all.
      I have also added a new page, called mind.asp in the same subfolder, for good measure, deleting the stop/restart tags to see if this one gets indexed. The answer is no.

I have run the indexer many times since, but to no avail. Uploaded via ftp and also copying over manually.I have also found out that the indexer fluctuates when it is running. The index summary report gives me the number of files to be 1000, 997,996 and 998. It also gives me the asp pages as either 500 or 499. This was, of course, before uploading the new file [mind.asp]. So, the number should have stayed at either 499 or 500, and then upped by one, but it does not. [FYI: I have not uploaded any other asp file in the meantime].

So, I am now very confused, distressed, stressed , bored and at the verge of going mad.

Any other steps I could take?

[NB.: deleted the ZOOMSTOPFOLLOW tags...]

Thank you.

Comment

You should take a look at this FAQ:
        Q. I am indexing with spider mode but it is not finding all the pages on my web site

Can you tell us where this page (seek/index.asp) is being linked to from the rest of your website, and indicate whether that page with the link is being indexed and/or followed?

Perhaps you're unaware of how spiders work. A spider needs to follow links to find pages, it will not magically detect them. So unless you have links going to these new pages (such as mind.asp), or added start points to tell the spider to go to them directly, then no, they will not be indexed. The FAQ above and the Users Guide explain this in more detail.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi,
          Thank you for your kind reply, and sorry for the delay in responding as I was not in.
          First off; yes you are right. I should have read that FAQ and the manual. So, I accept. apologies.

The two pages were not being linked to from anywhere.

You may have noticed that I am in the process of re-vamping of the whole site.
          As such I had not done a proper SiteMap. As soon as I placed the above two pages on the new site map page, ran a fresh indexing, then they were picked up and one can search for those keywords. The two pages are currently sitting at the bottom of the Sitemap page, under a subheader of 'Test for Zoom Tags.'

Well, thanks again for your help.
          Now, back to the Manual...

Kind regards.

Comment

Working...
          X