404 Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 404 Error

OK...I feel a bit stupid, but there's obviously something I'm not understanding about the process! I've indexed my site...created a folder named "Search" and uploaded the files there...created a search box...and everything seems fine. Until, that is, I do a test search on the site: no matter what I type, I get a "404 File Not Found" error message. I'm guessing I'm either missing a file, or I have something in the wrong place...but for the life of me, can't figure out what! The site utilizes a DWT which holds the header, menu files, footer, and the search box...would that make a difference? Here's the link to the site: www.ccafca.org . Sure would appreciate any help/suggestions. Many thanx!

I didn't have any problems doing a search on your site. Here is an example search.
    http://www.ccafca.org/search/search.php?zoom_query=test

Looking at the search form you created on you home page page I can see you followed (part of) the instructions on this page for creating a fancy search box.

But you seem to have copied only half the example code. In particaular you have left out this line of HTML code. Which is the all important submit button.
    <input type="submit" value="" style="border-style: none; background: url('searchbutton3.gif') no-repeat; width: 24px; height: 20px;">

Comment

404 Error

Thanks for pointing out my goof on the "Submit" button...don't know how on earth I managed to miss copying that part! However, even after fixing that, I STILL keep getting a 404 error when I try to do a "live"search using the Search box. (Here's the complete text of the message:
      "Not Found
      The requested URL /search.php was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Also, I can't figure out where/how to add the search button image...when I try putting it in the "Input" box, it shows up, but doesn't function.

This seems like it should be SO simple...why am I having problems with it?? (No cracks about senior moments, OK...not that old. Yet. )

An unrelated issue: even tho I tell the software to include a sitemap, the xml file isn't in the folder. Am I doing something wrong there too?

Comment

It is just a plain old broken link.

This the code you included in the search form on your home page.
        <form method="get" action="http://www.ccafca.org/search.php" style="text-align: right">

But as you already noted all your search files are in a folder called /search/.

So your URL should be.
        <form method="get" action="http://www.ccafca.org/search/search.php" style="text-align: right">

The missing image is any broken link. You have this code.
        <input type="submit" value="" style="border-style: none; background: url('searchbutton3.gif') no-repeat; width: 24px; height: 20px;">

But the image searchbutton3.gif probalby isn't in the root folder and so doesn't show up.

The sitemap can be in a different folder compared to the search files. It normally needs to be in the Root folder. See the users guide for more details.

Comment

404 Error

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! And again, forgive me for my dense-ness!

Comment

Working...
          X