Images cause ragged information results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images cause ragged information results

I've set up images in the results and it works quite well. I do find the results can be a bit ragged, especially for images with a small height. After about a hour of trying to fix it in the search style sheet, I gave up and spent a couple of minutes to make a table in the search.php file.

This works great until I re-run the search, which causes the search.php file to be overwritten (as expected). Is there an option to not overwrite search.php?

Will v6 handle images any better or do you have any other suggestions for css modifications? I did change the css image size from 80px to 48px wide, which likely increases the chance of problems (the larger the image, the less likely the text wraps).

The site (http://www.faultwire.com) is currently using the modified search.php. You can use the search term "ibm".

Using an unmodified search.php, here's a partial screen shot with the first two results having problems, while the third is what I want for all results.

After thinking about it overnight, I realized I don't have to call search.php but I can use my modified "search_new.php" without having to worry about overwrites. I know this is not ideal, since changes to the configuration may build the search.php file differently, but I'm not expecting to change any of these options now that I have working the way I want.

Still, if you have a trick to modifing the css to make well defined columns similar to using tables, to avoid the ragged look (and avoid modifying the search.php file), let me know. It seems the use of multiple div's in the 2nd column is what causes the wrapping (css .result_title, .desciption, .context, .infoline).

Comment

Originally posted by vcor View Post
      This works great until I re-run the search, which causes the search.php file to be overwritten (as expected). Is there an option to not overwrite search.php?
      Yes, see chapter 7.4 "Editing the search script" and chapter 2.2.18 "Custom script source path" in the Users Guide.

The former allows you to edit the source code of the script so that your changes won't be overwritten. However, if you manage multiple sites/search files, they will be applied on all of them.

The latter is better, it simply allows you to make a copy of your modified script, put it in a different folder, and tell Zoom to use this file instead of the factory default. This is a per configuration setting.

Having said that - the change you are making should not require modifying the PHP.

Originally posted by vcor View Post
      Using an unmodified search.php, here's a partial screen shot with the first two results having problems, while the third is what I want for all results.
      You can use margin-bottom and padding-bottom attributes to ensure the image div uses up the height required to not make the text wrap. Or your can use a fixed image size for all your images by specifying both a height and width attribute, rather than just a width attribute. This can all be done via CSS without modifying the script code.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks! I hadn't caught section 7.4. That worked like a charm!

Comment

Working...
        X