Japanese language trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese language trouble

Forgive my inexperience, but the guy who was in charge of managing Zoom for us has been laid off, so I'm stuck scrambling for answers. We haven't been using Zoom for long (not yet through a language translation cycle), so it's possible there are many problems on our end.

We provide English text to translators who then translate to other languages.

Version is 5.0 Professional build 1001.

The problems:

1) Text at the top telling the customer how to search and how to NOT use wildcards didn't get translated. It is in English. Is that a problem with the translator, or is there something I need to do?

2) The search is not allowing Japanese characters to be entered.

3) Japanese strings are corrupted in the results. Unreadable text that includes symbols and non-japanese characters.

I've never been on the translating side of things, so when answering, please don't expect I understand double-byte characters or UTF-8 or Shift-JIS pages or anything like that. I know enough to throw those terms out, but that's about it.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

5.0 Professional build 1001 is old. You should at least upgrade to the final V5 release, if not V6. See,
    See, http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

Unfortunately if you are working with Japanese documents and web pages, then you will need to become somewhat familiar with things like Unicode, UTF-8 and similar character set issues. This will be the case even if you don't use our product.

You can translate text on the search results page using a language file. See the users guide for details. But you might not need to do this if you get the current software.

See also this FAQ on international language support

Comment

Working...
    X