No response after clicking highlighted search results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No response after clicking highlighted search results

I'm using Windows XP SP2. IE 6.0.2900 128 bit. Zoom Search Indexer 5.1 (1014). I'm indexing offline using CGI/Win32 FE.
    Once the search results are displayed, I click on a highlighted link, and the document is never dispalyed. I've redindexed and reinstalled the search engine, and I'm still having the trouble.

Properties of highlighted search results:

file:///c:/home%20page/Ent%20Man%20and%20Ops%20Man/WebHelp/tools_and_apps/imat_tool.htm

file:///c:/home%20page/Technical%20Docs/6510_MS_Server_Install_Guide_R2.0_EN.pdf#search="i sdn"

file:///c:/home%20page/SX2000/sx2000MaintCommands.RTF

Note - I've had Zoom installed for quite a while and I it was working fine for several months.
    Any ideas...?

If you are using offline mode and don't use the correct base URL, then all the URLs on the search results page will be wrong.

Correcting the base URL, and reindexing, will correct the URLs.

Comment

I've copied this from the URL on the search results page:
      URL: file:///c:/home page/Technical Docs/hp6200-5400-3500-CLI-k1201-Feb2007.pdf

I can paste this address into the browser and it works fine.

In the indexer the Start directory = C:\Home Page
      Base URL = c:\home page\
      Explorer = - My Computer
      - C:
      -Home Page
      - Technical docs
      By the way, I'm not copying this to a CD/DVD. I'm running this from my laptop/desktop.

?????

Comment

Did you try with Firefox or anther browser and did it work?

It might be the Mark of the web (MOTW) problem.

See these old posts about the MOTW
        Post 1:
        Known issue: Not responding links in Javascript search result due to MOTW
        Post 2:
        PDFs not opening
        Post 3:
        Link from search results not working

Comment

I'm stumped. I've trying everything I can think of, and everything you've suggested, and I still can resolve the issue.
          I searched all files for MOTW and the only files found were Zoom Search help files.
          Are there any know issues with .net, Java verisons, etc... ?

Comment

My appologies for the previous unspell checked response.
            I'm stumped. I've tried everything I can think of, everything you've suggested, and I still can't resolve the issue.
            I searched all files for MOTW and the only files found were Zoom Search help files.
            Are there any known issues with .net, Java verisons, etc... ?

Comment

.NET and Java have nothing to do with the CGI version nor the Front End.

Originally posted by meveland View Post
              Once the search results are displayed, I click on a highlighted link, and the document is never dispalyed.
              Can you please describe this with more detail. What do you mean by "never displayed"? Does the page in the browser change to a blank page? Does it return an error such as 404 File Not Found? Or does the page not change at all when you click on the link?

Does the problem only happen with PDF files? If so, do you have a default viewer for PDF files correctly associated with .pdf in Windows? If not, is it the same behaviour when you click on all file formats or different?

Also - which verison of the Front End are you using? Click on "About" to get the version and build number. I will presume this is not a build you compiled yourself.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I select a highlighted link and the hour glass runs for one second then it reverts back to the standard cursor. Nothing is ever displayed. This behavior is the same on all file types - pdf, doc, xls, txt...
                Version 1.3 build 1000

Comment

Do you have any popup blockers installed on your computer? This ranges from the Yahoo toolbar to various Internet Security packages.

The Front End opens the search result links in a separate window. It simply asks Windows to "open" the file with the associated application. So if IE is your default web browser, all HTML pages will open in a new IE window. If Acrobat Reader is your default PDF viewer, then PDF links will open in a separate Acrobat Reader window that launches.

When this operation fails, an error message is normally presented. Since you are not seeing this message, I suspect that the operation does not fail, but has instead been intercepted by a popup blocker of some sort. Alternatively, there might be something wrong with your file associations.

If you do have some of the aforementioned blockers or security products, you may want to try temporarily disabling them or uninstalling them.

Alternatively, try running the Front End on another machine which does not have such toolbars/products installed.
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I don't have any popup blockers running. I have the same virus protection I've always had. I had this same program working on another computer and it worked just fine. I've examined the file associations and can't find anything there either. File permissions/rights look good also.

My laptop computer is a conglomeration of many, many programs and services. I load/change and use many applications, tools, utilities and various other programs. I guess somewhere along the line I must have loaded/added one of these that changed some settings/associations. Apparently, I'll have to wait until I get a new laptop or reload the OS on this, and right now, both of those are highly unlikely.

Thanks for your support and help. Your support is very impressive.

If you should ever need any help with networking, VoIP, Telephony,...just let me know. I'd be glad help you out.

Mike Eveland
                    Transwest Network Solutions
                    Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                    X