Searching a database without links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching a database without links

One feature of ZoomSearch ver 4.0 that I particulary like is its ability to index a mysql or text database if links to individual files exist on a page. This works well for 3 of my databases.

The fourth has an entry page. This lists what happened on this day in history. The search box half way down the page allows selected dates to be searched by selecting dates from a dropdown box. Zoom can't do this a hence can only index the current day. Has anyone got any suggestions to allow searching of the entire database?

http://www.cerberus.com.au/cgi-bin/today2.pl On this Day
    John Rogers
    www.cerberus.com.au

You need a page that has normal HTML style links to all the other pages that you want indexed.

If the data is in a database you could write a script (e.g. ListAllDays.pl) that displayed a link to each database record.

Of course this might not be so useful for a human viewer. But you could hide the link from human viewers and create a seperate start point directly to this new for Zoom.

------
    David

Comment

Thanks for the file name of ListAllDays.pl

Now I just need to find out what to put in it. I will do some investigation.
      John Rogers
      www.cerberus.com.au

Comment

Searching database saved pages?

John,

what did you investigated about indexing web pages saved in database?

Now I have the simillar problem. I put site news script onto my company site, which stores site news into Acess database. I would like to index all site news and let the user search through the site news database.

Any idea?
        Regards,
        Nenad

Comment

Sorry, but I have made no progess yet.
          John Rogers
          www.cerberus.com.au

Comment

See this FAQ question for details,
            http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_howto.html#sql

In the best case your site is already set up in such a way that a normal web surfer can browse the content of the database by following the links on your pages.

In the worst case you need to create a series of HTML links that to pages that access the database records that you need to index. Your can either manually create page that is a list of links, or if you know what you are doing, write a small amount of code that automatically dumps out a list of links.

--------
            David

Comment

Working...
            X