Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .desc file(?) for .htm files?

V5.1

How can I configure a context description for some Excel-generated table files; that is, to nullify their Table Headers and rows without using the STOP/RESTART tags? Can a .desc file be used, as with plugins, or perhaps a meta tag?

The files are often updated (overwritten), so I'd prefer running an automated meta tag update instead of manually analyzing specific insertion points for the STOP/RESTART tags in all updated files.

Thx,
    Leon

.desc files can only be used to set / override the meta data for a file. You can use them to modify the content of a document. You also can't use HTML tags (including ZOOMSTOP) in Excel files.

Comment

If you really don't want to index the actual XLS files but use an alternate version of the file (with different content) for indexing, you could use the "Rewrite links" option ("Configure"->"Indexing options") to index your alternative files and rewrite their resultant URLs to point to the real XLS files. You would then skip the real XLS files so they don't get indexed.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Not exactly...

Sorry, fellas, I wasn't clear enough.

The files are originally XSL, but converted to HTM, and they consist of large tables with no Heading or introductory text (that is, the heading label for the table/page is actually in the first table row). I do want to index them, but want to customize the context description, to avoid having the user see nothing but table column headers.

So, again, how can I index an HTM file (whether originally XSL, or not) but provide a customized context description? I suspect the answer is, I can't, so I'll have to manually add the custom text into the HTM files, above the table.

Thx

Comment

I guess what you mean is really that you want to display a static description instead of a context description, for a certain group of files.

You can have this behaviour for all files (by disabling context description but having meta description enabled) but you can't have this for only a group of files in the index, while another group of files will display context descriptions normally.

And you can't have .desc files for HTML files. So the short answer is probably no.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thx

On to plan B...

Comment

Working...
            X