part numbers don't work in a search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part numbers don't work in a search

www.webriggingsupply.com is the site. Client just noticed you can't put in a part number. It comes up as no results, yet words of any kind work fine.

I checked all my configuration settings, and they are all stock. Any ideas why a, say 8 digit number string will not find the page?

You should be able to search for numbers without any problem. What was the exact number being searched for, and on what page does this number appear?
    Was this page actually indexed?

Comment

on this page for example:

http://www.webriggingsupply.com/pages/catalog/rope/rope-3strand-manila.html

I copied the first part number, "80016TWMPFT", and did a search for it.

I get this:

Enter one or more keywords to search for using the Zoom Search Engine.
      Note that '*' and '?' wildcards are supported.

Search results for: 80016TWMPFT

No results found.

If I copy the first full product name, "[A] Three Strand Twisted Manila", and search for it, it finds the page just fine, so the page clearly is spidered.

Comment

We tried indexing the page with the final V5.1 release (build 1017) and it had no problems searching for that product code on the page.

We noticed you're using an older build (V5.1 build 1014) so you should at least update to the final V5.1 release which can be found here:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/version5history.html

Also, please let us know if you have modified the search script ("search.php") in any way at all as any changes might have broken functionality.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I wouldn't know how to edit anything! I'm just not that knowledgeable on all this.

I will update the build. I sure wish you guys would throw us Mac guys a little love. The Dreamweaver plugin would be HUGE for us mac users.

Comment

We do already have a Dreamweaver plugin. But it only supports the Windows version of Dreamweaver.

It would be a lot of work to do a Mac version of the software, probalby a man year or more of work. But if the Mac gets more popular over the next few years we'll look at doing it. We have no short term plans however.

Comment

more popular? You are kidding right? The mac's popularity with the general public is not the same as in the creative/design/web world. Every single web designer I know is on the Mac and has been for years and years. I think you seriously under-estimate the volume of Mac people, aka, new customers. I'm no expert, but porting windows only software to Mac is not a horrible task. Many small companies I work with, mainly audio and video related have done it in several months with very, very complex programs. I'm just saying don't rule it out so quickly. You might be surprised.

I had to buy parallels and XP to run Zoom. I'd have spent $200 bucks just to NOT have to do that.

But that's off topic.

I still haven't installed the 5.X update, although I'm not real hopeful that's the issue.

Comment

Ideally you would update to V6 and see if you still had the problem. But we aren't aware of any problem in the final V5 release that would prevent searching for the part number you gave. So the problem is most likely elsewhere, your old patch release, or a corrupt set of index files.

There is about 10 man years of work in the Windows release. So a one man year port is probalby optimistic. But you are right Mac's market share has now grown. To around 3% (worldwide), and that for graphic designers the percentage would be significantly higher than 3%.

Comment

I might eventually update to v6. Are there any files I can delete and have Zoom rebuild itself?

Comment

You can delete all the files that Zoom creates in the output folder, then re-index. (But you might want to keep the search_template.html file if you have customised it).

Comment

I deleted the files, re-indexed, and it now appears to work. Something must have been corrupted somewhere.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X