Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excluding words in title tag

Hi

Is there any way to get Zoom to omit indexing words which appear in the <title> tag of web pages, but still to LOOK at title tags, so that they can be used to identify the finds on the search results pages?

The Zoom support team has just helped me brilliantly through a process of understanding why Zoom was finding too many instances of some words on my sites (I wasn't excluding metatags with 'Zoomstop'). I've now 'quarantined' the description tags etc, and largely resolved the issue.

My last problem is that I can't put Zoomstop tags round the <title> tag, because I've realised that if you do this, Zoom doesn't seem to know what the pages are called, and every single page found in the search is then called 'No title'.

However, one of my sites has a title tag on every page that contains the same real words (not just a company name, for instance) - notably the word 'fulfilment'. The tag is expanded with a unique phrase for each individual page. So the outcome is that Zoom finds the word 'fulfilment' on every page of the site.

I quite understand that this is a unique situation, and I might have to live with it finding the specific words that I'm talking about. I just thought it would be a useful feature in principle to be able to tell Zoom to take note of the title of each found page, but not to index the words in it. The title tag has a special role in the presentation of the search results, and seems to invite special treatment.

I can see that I could reduce the weighting of the title tags, which would presumably push instances where the word is only found in the title down the search results, but it wouldn't actually stop the word being found.

This REALLY isn't a big problem! I'm very pleased with the good advice I've had on my real issues. I just thought I'd float the question to see if anyone knows a way round it. Or is it covered in version 6?

In Version 6.0, you can specify alternative page titles and page descriptions which are used exclusively by Zoom (with ZOOMTITLE and ZOOMDESCRIPTION meta tags). See chapter 7.7 in the Users Guide.

This allows you to override the page title for your internal search results with something more unique than what you may offer to Internet-wide search engines. For example, on Google, you may want a page title to say: "My Company - My product - This page is about cars", when searching within your own website, you may want it to simply say: "This page is about cars".
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X