.Desc files for PDF errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .Desc files for PDF errors

Several of the PDF files on our site cannot be index, because they are protected. The log files usually give an error like this:

Code:
    [ERROR] [PDF plugin error] This file is protected by Acrobat Security settings which prohibit content from being extracted.
    Unfortunately, if the PDF plugin gives an error, Zoom doesn't seem to bother looking for the appropriate .Desc file.

Now, the obvious solution would be to just get the PDF files unprotected, so that Zoom can go through and index it all, and everybody's happy. Unfortunately, that is not possible in this situation, because of the large bureaucracy that I work for. I had hoped to get around that by creating a .Desc file for the protected PDF files, and loading up the keywords with stuff that Zoom would have found, had it actually indexed the PDF... but now it seems that it Zoom ignores those .Desc files altogether.

Is there any way to bypass this, or is this a bug/feature, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

- JW

The entire site is an intranet site behind a firewall, so I'm not able to send the URL. But here is some information about the environment:

Zoom version: 4.2, build 1001
    Platform: ASP
    Indexing Mode: Both Offline and Spider (same issue with both)
    PDF Files: 231 total, of which 220 are able to be indexed.

If you have the password to the PDF files, you can enter it in Zoom from the "Scan Options" tab of the Configuration window. This will allow Zoom to index the protected files without you having to unprotect all the files in advance.

If this is not possible, then yes, Zoom will skip them as well as their corresponding .desc files, as you've discovered. It would be a useful feature if it could index the .desc files despite the actual PDFs being protected, and we will add this to our list of things to consider for Version 5.0.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X