No Shift-JIS support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Shift-JIS support

I have tried Zoom several times and I must say that it does not support Japanese. I live in Japan and the charset that everyone uses with EVERYTHING is shift-jis. Zoom does not support this in any way. So please, do not indicate it supports Japanese. It's just plain wrong.

UTF-8 does not mean Japanese support, nor does the fact that your template uses Japanese. If my clients enter Japanese shift-jis words or phrases, Zoom never searches properly. In fact it's always 0 returns.

Also, in your search configuration section, there are many different language charsets listed, but no Japanese. Again, Japanese is not supported.

I just would hate to see people spend 99 dollars on something that is not true.

Please adjust your language marketing so that it better reflects what you are actually selling.

Thank you,

Jim

[Note: We have moved the above post out from http://wrensoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548 because we think it deserves its own topic]

Zoom does not support Shift-JIS. This is documented, and stated clearly on our website here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...ges.html#asian

However, it is just plain incorrect to say that Zoom does not support Japanese, because it does not support Shift-JIS.

While UTF-8 may not be the most popular charset for Japanese websites, it is most definitely possible to have a Japanese website encoded in UTF-8, and there are many of them around (including Google Japan, Microsoft Japan, and many more). Many websites also offer text in a number of different languages on their website, including Japanese, and they do so with UTF-8, and this option is also certainly available to them.

As explained in our URL above, there are also other issues with indexing Asian languages, and we very clearly state that Zoom provides limited support for this (namely the difficulty in recognizing one word from another without the use of a linguistic dictionary since there are no "spaces" between words). However, we have users who are happy with Zoom on their Japanese and Chinese websites, so we recommend that you download the Free Edition and try it out on your site first, to see if it'll work for you.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X