Highlighting works, Jumping to highlight does not, pls help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlighting works, Jumping to highlight does not, pls help

I have tried and tried to get the jumping to work, I installed the most recent version of the Zoom Software, which is an absolutely awesome product, but I would really really like to get the jumping to work. I have tried to figure it out, and I am at my wits end with this.

I copied over the new highlight.js script just today and that did not help either. Also, i went to the validator and corrected the errors but still no luck. Any help would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

The addy of the search site is:
    http://aif.com/Article%20Archives/Ar...vearticles.htm

Do a search for darkhollow when you have a chance. I created a large page and added it to the bottom so that if it does work you can actually see the jump happen. Search should only return 1 result.

Thanks so very much again on a great product.

Your "highlight.js" file is corrupted.

This may have happened if you ever opened the file in another application (especially one that is not a Javascript editor, such as MS Word) or you used some web page editor which took some bad liberties with the file and parsed a few things out here and there.

Most notably, it seems that the "<" character is stripped in several places (line 70 and line 180), and HTML entities such as &asp; and were converted to their character equivalent ("&" and " "). This is incorrect processing of a Javascript file and this broke the functionality of the script.

I would recommend re-installing Zoom (in case the one in your Zoom Program Files folder is actually the one that has been modified), and make sure to upload the new "highlight.js" over the old one. You might also want to check that it is not your FTP program that is being evil and doing this.

PS. On an unrelated note, your search page in the above URL has a JS error caused by the <body onload="highlight();"> tag. This is not necessary since highlighting on the search results page occurs automatically. It is an error because there is no highlight.js file linked to that page - which is fine. Just change the tag to <body> and that will fix that particular error.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

, I cleared out all of the files relating to Zoom 4.0 and 4.2 from Program Files after I uninstalled, then reinstalled version 4.2 again, ran an index then ftp up the highlight.js file. I made no alterations to the .js file nor have I ever, and it still didnt work. Is there a different size or some way of knowing if I am actually using the correct .js file, the size of mine is 7.46kb, or is it possible for you to show the javascript here in the forum or email it to me so i can compare them? I use macromedia dreamweaver MX, dont know if it is possible like you said that the editor does something with it, I have no idea. Should I be using something else? Should I be using a specific ftp program? More help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much again.

Comment

Are you sure you have uploaded the new "highlight.js" file to the correct folder? The one being used in your original test scenario is here:
        http://aif.com/Article%20Archives/20...s/highlight.js

I just checked, and that file has the exact same date/time (12/October/2005, 3:36:32AM) as the older copy of the corrupted script that I looked at, in response to your original post. This indicates that you have not yet uploaded a new copy of the file since then. Make sure you allow your FTP program to overwrite the existing file, and try again.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I reuploaded this morning, any difference? Is this file corrupted also?

Comment

No difference. Same file. I even checked this from a remote server to make sure that it was not a local proxy preventing me from seeing the new file.

Things to check/do:

- Make sure you are uploading to this very folder. You should be able to see the file date and time on your server to see if it is different.
            - Make sure you are uploading the copy of the "highlight.js" file that was installed by Zoom, and not a copy that has since been modified.
            - To confirm that "highlight.js" is not corrupted, the correct file size for this version should be 7,646 bytes* (right click the file and select "Properties" to see actual number of bytes). You should also be able to check for the missing characters mentioned in my previous post.

If you've checked all this, and confirmed that the file on your hard disk is OK, but it gets messed up during upload somehow - then try another FTP program.

*Note that this filesize only refers to the latest build (4.2.1002) at the time of posting. The filesize may change in future builds.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Same problem - not jumping to highlighted text on page

Yep, same problemo. This time it looks like the file's ok, plus I checked the size which was spot on.

I did a search for the word gorgonzola, and didn't even get a sniff!

Can you help Ray?

My current url is:

http://www.cranbornechasepictures.co.uk.default.asp

Comment

Re: Same problem - not jumping to highlighted text on page

[quote="Verysensible"]Yep, same problemo. This time it looks like the file's ok, plus I checked the size which was spot on.

I did a search for the word gorgonzola, and didn't even get a sniff!

Can you help Ray?

My current url is:

http://www.cranbornechasepictures.co.uk/default.asp

Comment

It seems to work fine on that site? I searched for "gorgonzola" and I got this result:
                  http://www.cranbornechasepictures.co...ght=gorgonzola

And you can see that the word is highlighted. Similarly, all other words I search for are being highlighted correctly with the jump to highlighting feature.

You might want to make sure you have reloaded the pages on your browser, or clear the browser cache on your computer.
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

FINALLY! I got it working! You were right, I was pointing at the old highlight.js file, so I re-uploaded to that location, and everything worked out just fine...but I have come across another interesting issue. On some of my searches, the page comes up highlighted and jumps no problem, but on others i get an error message, with a ok box, and when I click on it goes to a Page Cannot Be Displayed, I am totally confused as to why, I have gone to the W3 Validator Page and cleared out the errors, but I still get it.

Here are the Links:

Page & Search Working Fine:
                    http://aif.com/Article%20Archives/20...ghlight=Barney

Not Working Page:
                    http://aif.com/Article%20Archives/20...22January+9%22

Note also on the 2nd link that it does highlight the search phrase at the top of the page but I get an error...any help would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all of your help.

Comment

I noticed three issues with your "not working page".

1.) You have placed the line that calls the highlight(); script before the </body> tag. We recommend putting this after the </body> tag to ensure that the content is fully downloaded before the highlighting procedure is executed.

2.) You have a SSI (Server Side Include, aka "#include") which is not being processed at line 85 of that page. If this was processed by the server correctly, it would not appear in the source code visible to the end user's browser. As to why this is not being handled, this would most likely be an issue with your server configuration, or something else that has been setup on the server-side (eg. url rewrite, etc.).

3.) You have a paragraph tag (

) that isn't doing anything and is not closed before the call to the highlight script. This should normally be OK, and is fine in Firefox and other browsers. However, it appears to be triggering a bug in Internet Explorer 6.0 and this is causing the error message you are seeing.

Strangely enough, with some testing, we found that an unclosed

tag earlier above on your page works fine, just not where it is located at the moment, after your </table> and </div> tags.

More info on the IE bug here:
                      http://peterjanes.ca/blog/archives/2.../03/hulk-smash
                      http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/defaul...rogrammingBugs (scroll down to "Operation aborted")

To workaround this, you can either:
                      - Close the opened

tag with a matching </p>
                      - Remove the

tag line at line 85 since it isn't doing anything.
                      - We have also found that this problem does not occur with the alternative method of calling the highlight() function from the <body> tag (using the onLoad= attribute). You could remove the current call to the highlight() function and use this alternative instead. See our FAQ for more info (it is the first method explained):
                      http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/highlighting.html
                      --Ray
                      Wrensoft Web Software
                      Sydney, Australia
                      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

There's only one problem with your observation Ray. If you do this:

1.) You have placed the line that calls the highlight(); script before the </body> tag. We recommend putting this after the </body> tag to ensure that the content is fully downloaded before the highlighting procedure is executed.

Then you end up with an unbalanced tag, as Dreamwaver's validator (for instance) will expect the tag: <body onload="highlight();">

be 'closed' by the </body> tag

Comment

Originally posted by fredbueno
                          There's only one problem with your observation Ray. If you do this:

Then you end up with an unbalanced tag, as Dreamwaver's validator (for instance) will expect the tag: <body onload="highlight();">

be 'closed' by the </body> tag
                          You've misunderstood. I was referring to the use of a <script> tag that calls the highlight() function (as described on our highlighting support page, and as used by the original poster on his webpages). This is an alternative method to using the onLoad attribute in the <body> tag.

In other words, something like this at the bottom of your page:
                          Code:
                          </body>
                          <script type="text/javascript">highlight&#40;&#41;;</script>
                          </html>
                          --Ray
                          Wrensoft Web Software
                          Sydney, Australia
                          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yep. I assumed you're referring to the <body onload="highlight();"> tag. My fault

Comment

Resurecting Thread - Tried Fixes, Still Not Working

Hello Ray,

Hope you can help us out. I found this thread while searching for a solution to my problem, which this thread exactly describes.

I have read all of the support docs on the recommned fixes for this error when using highlighting, but have not been able to apply a fix that works.

I have tried the proposed best solution of calling the highlight script using the <body onload="highlight();"> tag. And, of course I have removed the <script type="text/javascript">highlight();</script> line from the bottom of the pages.

When I do that, the pages load without the "operation aborted" error message, but the highlighting does not work.

Also, I first tried placing the <script type="text/javascript">highlight();</script> line after the </body> tag at the bottom of the pages, but my html editor refuses to allow it! The line is always repositioned above the </body> tag when I save the changes. Go figure?

I do have some other attributes set using the <body> tag as well, but my editor seems to be happy with the syntax on that line.

We are using Ver 5.1, and have been for quite some time. No changes to our highlight javascript implementation have been made in quite some time. Yet, a few weeks ago, all on IE6 or IE7 started getting this same error.

Our site in on an Intranet inside our firewall, so you can't get on it. Below is a sample of the HTML code fromt the top of a page on which I have tried using the <body onlaod=> tag.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                              <html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
                              <head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
                              <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
                              <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">

<title>RF Electronics - I&amp;O Guides</title>
                              <style>
                              <!--
                              li.MsoNormal
                              {mso-style-parent:"";
                              margin-bottom:.0001pt;
                              font-size:12.0pt;
                              font-family:"Times New Roman";
                              margin-left:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-top:0in}
                              -->
                              </style>
                              <style>.highlight { background: #FFFF40; }</style>
                              <script type="text/javascript" src="http://knowledgenet.sciatl.com/TNSEngineeringServices/home/Technical_Publications/TNS_Library_Folder/search/highlight.js"></script>

<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="r, default">
                              </head>
                              <body onload="highlight();" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">
                              <span ID="TBDownLevelDiv"></span>
                              <script Language="JavaScript" src="http://knowledgenet.sciatl.com/javascript/randomImg.js"></script>
                              <script Language="JavaScript" src="http://knowledgenet.sciatl.com/javascript/toolbar.js"></script>
                              <script Language="JavaScript" src="http://knowledgenet.sciatl.com/javascript/mainArch.js"></script>
                              <script Language="JavaScript" src="../../../../../sidemenu.js"></script>
                              <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%" id="AutoNumber1" height="9">
                              <tr>
                              <td width="15%" rowspan="2" height="9"></td>
                              <td height="20" valign="top">
                              <!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="../../../../../Top Side Bars/TopsidebarTP.htm" TAG="BODY" --></td>
                              <td width="25%" rowspan="2" valign="top" height="9">
                              <!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="../../../../../Rightsidebar.htm" TAG="BODY" --></td>
                              </tr>
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, there is other JavaScript on these pages as well. However, those have been there for quite some time as well. No new ones have been added lately.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Robert Schultz
                              Staff Technical Writer
                              Cisco Access and Transport Technology Group
                              Lawrenceville, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X