Finding and Removing Old Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding and Removing Old Content

I'd like to invite anyone to add feedback on this one. We distribute a DVD throughout our company that contains marketing materials in the form of pdfs, word docs, and powerpoints.

The problem I'm running into is finding a way to identify content that is no longer being used so I can remove it and keep all the relevant and updated content on one DVD.

Unfortunately because I'll be creating DVDs I don't know of any way to use server statistics, has anyone else figured out a way to manage this? Either with Zoom or some sort of check in/check out process?

Thanks for any input!

-Matt

The problem is that DVD are a read only media (at least for this case). So keeping track of what documents people look by writing a log file will of course not be possible.

I would think about,
    1) Just taking the simple approach and ask people what content they use / don't use.

OR

2) Add some scripting to the DVD so that it sends a HTTP post message to a central server each time a document is viewed. The post message would identify the document namr. This would lead to problems with network connections and firewalls however, but it might work if you had a homogeneous environment within your company.

OR

3) Have a script that writes a local log file to the hard disk of the user, then collect the log files later

OR

4) Switch to giving out USB key drives instead of DVD's. Then collect and update the key drives from time to time.

------
    David

Comment

Working...
    X