PHP 4 support in Zoom V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 4 support in Zoom V6

Our managed server runs PHP 4.3.9. I know it is old but to upgrade both PHP and MySQL will require upgrading Redhat ES4 to ES5. All to do with warranty and support etc and will cost a lot. It is something we intend to do in the new year.

I have tried to run a test version 6 and I cannot get the search page to show.

v5: www.volvoclub.org.uk/search/search.php

v6: www.volvoclub.org.uk/search2/search.php

I have set up aliases in Apache to point to /search/ and /search2/ but v6 does not work.

Does v6 work in this version of PHP?

Bob
    Robert Isaac
    Volvo Owners Club

> ...and will cost a lot

It is all open source free software....?

We made an attempt to get the Zoom V6 PHP script working on PHP4 last week, but it is a big job and would involve a lot of re-testing if we did get it to work in the end.

As the developers of PHP have discontinued support for PHP4, we have decided to do the same unless there is a massive outcry from our users in the next few weeks.

So we will officially only support PHP5.0 and above for V6 of Zoom.

V5 of Zoom will continue to support PHP4 and PHP5.

Comment

It is going to cost just under £1000 in technicians fees to upgrade our server, and it won't even be the latest version 5. Moving to another server is too much hassle and additional costs and configuration time. I will have to catch up with version 6 in a few months time.

Bob
      Robert Isaac
      Volvo Owners Club

Comment

Hi,

Try to put php5 (5) (for your serach2 path) after (search.php5) normally it works -if you server has the two possibilities (php 4 and php 5).

Anyway, see the : http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3001

Cheers,

Comment

I decided to use CGI instead, and it is much faster.

Bob
          Robert Isaac
          Volvo Owners Club

Comment

Hi,

I completely understand the reasoning behind only supporting php5. It is however a disappointment for me. I have been looking forward to the new Zoom v6 for a while now because of the new features and how much it would benefit my online store, however my online store is set up on Yahoo merchant solution servers and they only support php 4.3.11 . I have contacted Yahoo and they have no plans to upgrade to php5 so I guess this means I am stuck using Zoom v5.

Don't get me wrong, I love v5 but it just isn't the greatest choice for an online store. Zoom v6 on the other hand, well thats a different story. The new features make it great if not perfect for an online store, just not a Yahoo store due to Yahoo's lack of php5 support.

Tracey

Comment

There are quite a few 'big names' not upgrading to PHP5, I wonder why. Do they support CGI, as I am glad I changed to that, it is really much quicker.

Bob
              Robert Isaac
              Volvo Owners Club

Comment

As of V6.0 build 1008 (download latest build here),

Zoom V6 now officially supports both PHP4 and PHP5

We have rewritten parts of the PHP script so that it will be compatible with both PHP4 and PHP5, in response to popular demand.

Please let us know if you have any problems with the new release.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

wow, just wow. 10/10 just doesn't cover the support you guys provide.
                  Mark Gallagher

Comment

Working...
                  X