Several Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Problems

I have the Professional version on 2 computers. Both were originally the free version and were upgraded to Professional. The free versions were not uninstalled first. Development computer OS is Vista Ultimate. Development software is MS Visual Studio 2008. PDF software is Adobe Acrobat Pro v8 and Adobe Reader v9. Server OS is Windows Server 2003 Standard with VS 2008 Express and Adobe Reader v9.

Problem 1. Search finds PDFs but does not highlight and locate matched words. Default scan method is used and highlighting check box is checked. No other boxes are checked. Offline mode is used to index. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing?

Problem 2. Search results Title of Page says No title even though source indicates a title, e.g., <%@ Page Title="Calendar" Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" MasterPageFile="~/chateaux.Master" CodeBehind="calendar.aspx.vb" Inherits="ScarsdaleChateaux12.calendar" %>. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing?

Problem 3. Spider mode does not index site. Site is secured by user name and password. Users are assigned to roles to restrict access to the site. I ran spider mode with role restriction and then without. In both cases, it did not index completely so I've been using Offline Mode. In the event that you need access, here's the site I'm developing: http://www.scarsdalechateaux.com and here's a temporary user name and password: zoom and zoom-zoom, respectively. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing?

Thanks for your support, Robert Piro.

The free versions were not uninstalled first.
    This is OK, there is no need to uninstall the free edition.

Problem 1. Search finds PDFs but does not highlight and locate matched words
    See this FAQ to start with.
    Q. How do I enable highlighting?
    For PDF highlighting you need to go to "Scan options" configuration, select the .PDF extension and click on configure

Problem 2. Search results Title of Page says No title...
    This is most likely because you are indexing in offline mode. In offline mode the VB source code is not executed, and so you don't see the output of the code.

Problem 3. Spider mode does not index site
    See these FAQ.
    Q. Why are some of my pages being skipped by the indexer?

Q. Why are links in my Javascript menus being skipped?

Q. I am indexing with spider mode but it is not finding all the pages on my web site

And this one for authentication
    Q. How do I index protected parts of my website requiring user authentication?

Comment

Thank you for your quick response.

Problem 1: As I explained in my original note, I did go to Scan Options click on configure for PDFs and checked the highlighting checkbox. What I didn't mention is that I also checked words matched in search results on the Results Layout tab. It still didn't work. So I went back and forth between spider and offline mode and it finally worked. There must be some initialization or resetting issues in the Indexer-you do have at least one of these-if you index multiple time without closing the Indexer, you record the same error multiple times. I'm uncomfortable with this and probably will hold off on re-indexing on the site on which my customer has access until I can prduce the same result consistently on my test machine.

I have follow-ups for problems 2 and 3, which I'll send within the next day or 2.

Thanks again, Robert Piro

Comment

After changing configuration settings you need to re-index your site and re-upload the new set of index files. This is the only way new settings will be taken into account.

Comment

Working...
        X