Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS used as a quasi meta data

Dear readers and helpers,
    (I have posted this question in the v5 section and I am posting here because I do not know if v5 and/or v6 have the capabilities)

I wonder if zoom SE(ZSE) can make it or if there are some other tool/apps which can help:

Since I have in my HTML files every part of source tagged with <p class=description> whereas description may be title(1-n) (subtitles), author, area etc., I ask myself if I could configure ZSE so that I search only within titles2-n. There is a demand for someone to make search only terms, phrases within titles and subtitles.

Since I am a beginner I thought there are 3 solutions:

1. Ignore all <p cless = something_else_but titles2-n using "<!--ZOOMSTOP--> tag must be followed by a <!--ZOOMRESTART-->" for all those tags (Dreamweaver will work probably 2 days for all replacements and indexing will last ?? and search also ?? time). I also do not know if the hits will be highlighted. I assume yes...

2. Use some apps (please tell me if you know such) who transform chosen tags into metatags and place it in the <head>. Also as far as I understood, the ZSE has a limit of 255 for text meta tags which is a problem, because a sum of subtitles in many documents exceed this limit.

3. Solution that I do not know but it is probabely there, by setting something in ZSE and maybe influence the source docs in some way (using xml or whatever (foergive me my newbieness)

Can anybody please comment my guessing and give some answers especially to the third solution?

TIA,

Danx

Originally posted by danx View Post
    Since I have in my HTML files every part of source tagged with <p class=description> whereas description may be title(1-n) (subtitles), author, area etc., I ask myself if I could configure ZSE so that I search only within titles2-n. There is a demand for someone to make search only terms, phrases within titles and subtitles.
    I presume you mean you don't want to actually skip the page, just change a title for one particular page, or change the titles for a subset of pages. Is this correct?

1. Ignore all <p cless = something_else_but titles2-n using "<!--ZOOMSTOP--> tag must be followed by a <!--ZOOMRESTART-->" for all those tags (Dreamweaver will work probably 2 days for all replacements and indexing will last ?? and search also ?? time). I also do not know if the hits will be highlighted. I assume yes...
    I'm not quite sure what you are saying but...

Yes, you can use <!--ZOOMSTOP--> ... <!--ZOOMRESTART--> to exclude your titles and meta descriptions from indexing.

How many pages do you have? Most programs can do a search and replace across thousands of files quite quickly.

You could also use the ZOOMTITLE meta tag to specify an alternate title. Zoom will then ignore the title in your proper <title>...</title> tag, and use the custom one. For example:

Code:
    <head>
        <title>I don't want to see this page title in the search results</title>
        <meta name="ZOOMTITLE" content="This is the title i want to see in the search results">
    </head>
    You can also achieve a similar thing with ZOOMDESCRIPTION in place of the official meta description.

More information in chapter 7.7 of the Users Guide.

2. Use some apps (please tell me if you know such) who transform chosen tags into metatags and place it in the <head>. Also as far as I understood, the ZSE has a limit of 255 for text meta tags which is a problem, because a sum of subtitles in many documents exceed this limit.
    Hmm. I'm not sure if you're looking at the right numbers here.

For meta description and meta keywords tags, there are limits to the number of characters in such tags, per page. For example, there is a limit of 20,000 characters per page for Meta Keywords tags. The length of the Meta Descriptions tag is specified in the Indexer and can be up to 2000 characters per page.

The "Custom Meta Fields" option, where you specify additional (non-standard) meta fields for separate indexing features (so that you can search them by distinct criterias different from the main search), have limits like "255 number of possible dropdown values". Or 255 characters for the text value of ONE page (not the sum of all pages!). And you made no mention of the need for Custom Meta Fields anywhere else. Are you just getting things mixed up?

The "CSS" mentioned in the topic of this thread is also confusing... there's no CSS involved anywhere here.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X