javascript search not showing in mozilla 1.6 Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• javascript search not showing in mozilla 1.6 Windows

I have an internal website that I'm trying to build a javascript search for, I have no real access to the server (hence the javascript solution). I cant get anything after the search box to show, eg the go button or search results. Source code looks like it should work javascript is enabled. Works in IE, Firefox just not mozilla.

How big is the website (and how many pages have you indexed)? There are limitations to different Javascript engines in different browsers.

Can you zip up your search files (that's the files generated by Zoom, including search.js) and e-mail them to us.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me, unfortunately the material is commercially sensitive but basically it is a big directory of pdf's. Pages indexed are approx 26,000.

Comment

That's a fair number of pages for JavaScript. It is possible you are hitting the memory limitations of that particular browser.

Can you clarify what browser you are using as "Mozilla"? You realize that Firefox is a Mozilla based browser, and that previous Mozilla suite products have already been discontinued by mozilla.org. Are you using a really old browser? Please provide exact browser name and version.

If it is an old enough browser, it might not even provide adequate support for JavaScript to handle any modern website, let alone a complex search engine script.

For the number of pages given, you'd be better off using PHP or ASP. Even some of the cheapest web host plans provide support for this, so I'd be surprised if you really don't have them.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks again Ray.
          The browser is Mozilla version 1.6, which according to documentation has been tested with Zoom search.
          I don't believe it to be a memory issue as we are unable to get the Search form completely rendered (Only the Zoom Search Box is displayed. So, no Button, links displayed on page dropdown or Search all Words or any words radio buttons.)

Comment

Yes, we have tested and confirmed that the Javascript version of Zoom V6 does work with Mozilla 1.6 (though once again, we should point out that the Mozilla branded browsers are discontinued and strongly advised against by mozilla.org to not be used for daily operations).

That browser came out in 2004 and is quite likely to have low memory capacity for Javascripts.

Your description is actually a very likely symptom of an "out of memory" issue. Be aware that Javascripts run within a browser, and we're not talking about how much memory you have installed on your computer, but how much memory the browser is willing to let the script use. It is quite common, especially in older browsers, that once the script uses what it deems to be too much memory (it may be as little as 10 MB), that it will simply terminate the execution of the script at that point. This would cause the behaviour you are seeing, where half the search form is generated and the "Submit" button and the rest of the page never gets rendered.

This is explained here:
            http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...tml#largesites

If you were able to provide us with the search files (I hope you understand that we only needed your index files generated by Zoom and not your actual documents), we would be able to confirm this more conclusively.

But given the limited information you've provided us, we would say that the browser's memory limitations is the most likely cause of the problem. And that if you really need to be searching that data set within an obsolete browser such as Mozilla 1.6, then you should be considering alternative options like PHP or ASP.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X