No announcement yet.

Circumventing Meta Description Limit by Preserving Jump/Highlight for PDF Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circumventing Meta Description Limit by Preserving Jump/Highlight for PDF Files

Hi all,

this question might be similar to my previous question, but it is not the same.

If the limit for a meta description would be more then 2000 characters, I could use the .desc files containing all the subheadings of the document being placed in the meta description tag. Unfortunatelly the char amount of all subheadings exceed the 2000 chars limit...

I do not need the PDF files itself to be indexed. I need only a data from the head of the .desc files to be indexed and searched. And of course the most important - I want those PDFs to be jump/highlighted.

I have 4 sets of files, all named the same, which one could use to achieve this goal. Just the extensions differ: html (zoomstops everywhere excepting subheadings), html (containing just subheadings in the body), the .desc (not allowing more than 2000 chars in meta description tag)* and PDF files.

Does anyone know a way how to display a jump/highlighted PDF using any possible items and tricks, using more than 2000 characters placed anywhere?

*Is it possible to use a some kind of a body tag in the .desc files to accomodate more than 2000 chars?
    *Is it possible to split the text>2000 chars into multiple customMeta tags and configure an option "search all meta tags"?

Congratulations & many most thankfull appretiations to those who know a solution (which works) even if "unconvetional",

TIA for considerations to help,

Danx

Originally posted by danx View Post
    Does anyone know a way how to display a jump/highlighted PDF using any possible items and tricks, using more than 2000 characters placed anywhere?
    The jump/highlight option for PDF files (or for any files) have nothing at all to do with the number of characters in the file. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

If the question is whether the jump/highlighting will find words that are not indexed, then the answer is yes.

But meta descriptions (including those placed in the .DESC file) don't appear anywhere within the actual PDF page, so it won't show up anyway when you're in Acrobat Reader. So there's nothing to highlight.

*Is it possible to use a some kind of a body tag in the .desc files to accomodate more than 2000 chars?
    No. You can only specify meta information within a .desc file. Not body content.

*Is it possible to split the text>2000 chars into multiple customMeta tags and configure an option "search all meta tags"?
    Well then they'll be separate custom meta fields that will show up individually. Please refer to the Users Guide regarding Custom Meta fields and how they differ from normal meta fields.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X