File priorities and creation dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File priorities and creation dates

We index a large collection of pdf files using .desc files, which contain carefully-managed metadata. These files date from 1970 (actually earlier, but Zoom uses system routines that are not happy with the world before 1.1.1970) to today.

In order to give priority a) to recent documents and b) to key reports whatever their date, our default search settings are to present results 'by date' and to mark the key reports as 'recommended links'.

I would prefer to use 'by relevence' as the default order for presenting results, provided there was a good way to let Zoom know that newer documents are normally (but not always) more relevant than older ones.

As far as I can tell, Zoom does not use the 'Last modified date' meta record when determining relevance, so I'm adding 'ZOOMPAGEBOOST' meta records to the .desc files, with the boost value set to -1 to -5 according to how old the document is, or incremented by 2 if the document is also marked as a 'recommended link'.

But this is all trial and error - I'm not sure how much effect different page boost values will have, or if there's a better way (currently or possibly?) to achieve the desired results. Any suggestions/comments?

newer documents are normally (but not always) more relevant...
    The is a hard requirement for a computer to deal with, as it really requires some degree of intelligence and understanding of the document, on the part of the algorithm to work out the correct ranking.

Your post is pretty much correct otherwise however. Date is only used for a date sort, and not used when sorting by relevance.

This is something we might look at for a future release (letting dates influence sorting by relevance to some degree).

Comment

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
      This a hard requirement for a computer to deal with
      Indeed

This is something we might look at for a future release (letting dates influence sorting by relevance to some degree).
      Thanks

A minor bug report (I think, at least in the cgi interface). The 'drill down' urls that are provided after a search to 'refine your search by category' correctly preserve all the search parameters except the sort order. So, clicking on one of these links always gives you 'sorted by relevance'. Can this be fixed, please.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewD View Post
        A minor bug report (I think, at least in the cgi interface). The 'drill down' urls that are provided after a search to 'refine your search by category' correctly preserve all the search parameters except the sort order. So, clicking on one of these links always gives you 'sorted by relevance'. Can this be fixed, please.
        We have confirmed that this is a bug in the CGI version. It will be fixed in the next build (V6.0.1012).
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

David
          I have a site of some 1900+ posts/attachments all in WordPress - www.cla.asn.au . In indexing the site the attachments appear in the results with their creation/mod date but all the posts appear with the date of indexing. In viewing the individual posts the creation/mod date appears with the post.

Is there something I am missing in the setup?

I am using V6.1029

Comment

Zoom will only pick up the last-modified dates given via the HTTP header or in a meta tag on the page.

Please see section 7.8 of the Users Guide for more information.

If your posts have the dates mentioned somewhere on the page but not provided in the abovementioned methods, then it would not be recognized. Check if this is the case.

Most WordPress themes provide this by default, but some do not, or you may have manually disabled the option. You can find more information about this searching online about "wordpress last-modified dates".
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X