PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other m

Downloaded and installed the latest version v6.0 (build 1011).
    I read on this forum that this was a bug which should be fixed in this version.

I can't get to search to work on my site because of this error.
    Any suggestions ?

Regards

This message is a generic ASP.NET error, and it could be caused by different problems. Yours may not be the same bug as one that was reported before, but we can not tell with the brief information given.

Can you:
    - Confirm that you are using the ASP.NET Server Control and this is an error message you see when you access the 'search.aspx' page.
    - Confirm that you have installed the ASP.NET server control as described in chapter 3.2 of the Users Guide
    - Confirm that you have correctly uploaded or copied the files generated by the Zoom Indexer to the server. If you are using a third-party FTP program to do this, you should make sure ALL the necessary files are uploaded and that files are uploaded in binary mode (NOT text/ascii mode). A common problem is mixing files from different indexing sessions by not uploading all the files that need to be uploaded.
    - Confirm that the index files have not been modified in any text editor or third party program.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

some additional information.
      - I'm using the ASP.NET server control
      - The error occurs accessing the search.aspx which resides in de zoomaspx folder (IIS Application)
      - When error occurs the IIS worker process is stopped
      - ASP.NET Framework v2.0
      - I've indexed my site and put the index files in the zoomaspx folder
      - If the files are not in this folder I get : Cannot marshal 'parameter #7': Pointers cannot reference marshaled structures. Use ByRef instead.
      - The site is in development and therefor on http://localhost so I didn't have top FTP the files

Comment

Can you zip up the search files (all the files generated by Zoom) and e-mail them to us so we can try to reproduce the problem here?
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I've just sent an email containing the files.

Comment

The "parameter #7" and "ByRef" error has been addressed in newer builds of the ASP.NET Server Control since 25th/March/2009. You can find more information on this update here:
            http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3249
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Exception message: Attempted to read or write protected memory

Hi,

I am facing pretty much the same problem as Jasper and to resolve each time, as a temporary fix I had to restart the IIS on the web server.
              The ASP.NET server control is the 6.0.1017 and the indexing is done by indexing the live website and saving the files onto the development machine and copying over to the live website if the everything looks ok.

The live site is a internal website and indexing has been scheduled once a week due to the frequent occurrence of this error.

(Details taken from Event Viewer)

Event Type: Warning
              Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
              Event Category: Web Event
              Event ID: 1309
              Date: 10/16/2009
              Time: 3:00:49 PM
              User: N/A
              Computer: NZWEB1
              Description:
              Event code: 3005
              Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
              Event time: 10/16/2009 3:00:49 PM
              Event time (UTC): 10/16/2009 2:00:49 AM
              Event ID: 045ac67648ab4892ae1846481326c372
              Event sequence: 173
              Event occurrence: 6
              Event detail code: 0

Application information:
              Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/zoomaspx-3-129000421567665920
              Trust level: Full
              Application Virtual Path: /zoomaspx
              Application Path: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\zoomaspx\
              Machine name: NZWEB1

Process information:
              Process ID: 4912
              Process name: w3wp.exe
              Account name: RAF\intelk

Exception information:
              Exception type: AccessViolationException
              Exception message: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Request information:
              Request URL: https://support.stayinfront.co.nz:443/zoomaspx/search.aspx?zoom_query=blah&Category=&Version=
              Request path: /zoomaspx/search.aspx
              User host address: 192.168.97.221
              User:
              Is authenticated: False
              Authentication Type:
              Thread account name: RAF\intelk

Thread information:
              Thread ID: 6
              Thread account name: RAF\intelk
              Is impersonating: False
              Stack trace: at malloc(UInt32 )
              at zoomSearch.setup1(zoomSearch* , zoomSearchSetup* zsSetup)
              at ZoomASPX.ASPXSearch.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)
              at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
              at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
              at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
              at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlT extWriter writer, ICollection children)
              at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWrite r writer)
              at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
              at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
              at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
              at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
              at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Comment

Can you zip up the search files (all the files generated by Zoom) and e-mail them to us so we can try to reproduce the problem here?

Comment

ZOOM files

An email has been sent with the attached files

Comment

UPDATE for anyone stumbling onto this thread late:

We had further correspondence with gjoseph via e-mail back in Oct/2009, and found that the files worked fine with the latest release at time of correspondence, V6.0 build 1018. We noted that this includes updating both the indexer and the ASP.NET Server Control installed on the web server (not just one or the other). User said he will respond if he has further problems, and we have since not heard from him. So we assumed this resolved the issue and is closed.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X