PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASP.NET Control Causing Javascript Error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASP.NET Control Causing Javascript Error?

I have installed the Aspx control onto a clients site. Everything is working great! The only issue is that in IE 6 & 7 I get a javascript error, Document.Forms[...] Is Null or Not an Object...

It took a while, and my first thought wasn't actually the zoom search control, but after following IE's really lame error report I managed to conclude it was coming from a dynamically loaded resource file.

So after commenting out the zoom search control the error is gone. Unfortunately we, and the client, are pretty fond of the control and we don't want to do away with it. But we can't have javascript errors all over the place.

So has anyone else seen this? I have checked the zoom search demo in IE and I don't get the error, but I believe the demo is run in php.

Also, if it helps anyone help me out, the error is not present in Firefox.

Please help!
    Chris

The ASP.NET control doesn't do anything that should interfere with Javascript. Nor does it generate any invalid HTML which would cause problems.

I suspect the problem is more likely due to the Javascript you are using, making an assumption about the HTML on the page. For example, it might expect the first form on the page to be a certain object, and now that first form might be the search form. We can't guess what your Javascript does, but you should review this.

If you want, you can disable the search form generated by Zoom ("Configure"->"Search Page"-> Change "Search form" dropdown from "Advanced" to "Do not generate"). Then create your own HTML form wherever or however you like, as described in the FAQ:
    Q. How do I put search forms on pages besides the search page? (Or define my own search form?)
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X