Spider priority/throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider priority/throttle

After using Zoom Serach v6 for several months I must say I am impressed by the s/w's options and speed. This package is great value for money.

I have a questions to which I did not find an answer in the manuals or on this forum, though:

It is not possible to modify the 'Spider throttling' setting in the GUI while spidering is ongoing. I was wondering whether there will be any adverse effects when I (temporarily) set the Zoom Indexer's priority to 'Low' in Win's Task Manager while other scripts (like the log-parser) consume their clock-ticks. It seems to work OK when I try this, but I would like to have it from 'the horse's mouth' that it is safe to do this.

In a future version, an option to set the spider's throttle on the fly in the GUI (à la Virtualdub's priortity setting) would be great!

Thank you for your attention/reply,

Frank

There is a spider throttlng option in the software but it isn't directly aimed at CPU load throttlng. The throttlng option in the software controls the rate at which pages are processed. But if you decrease this rate then the CPU will be less busy and idle for much of the time. Thus allow other processes more CPU time.

What you are talking about in your post is setting the Window's O/S process priority. It should be safe to decrease the priority, but in general there probably isn't much point in doing so, expecially on modern multi-core CPU. If you are indexing files acrosss a network then Zoom probalby isn't using much CPU time as it spends most of its time waiting for the pages to download across the network. For example on my Core i5 machine I see CPU usage of around 7% at full speed and just 3% with spider throttling. Hardly worth worrying about.

Comment

Working...
    X