Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Categories Help

Greetings all.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to make Categories in the way in which I require them. Here is the scenario:

My website has 10 books. Each book has its own directory. (ie. mysite.com/book01/ch01.php, and /book01/ch02.php, etc... etc...) I want to have two category options, the first to be "search this book only", and the second to be "search all books".

Although having read the Zoom v6 User Guide several times, and experimenting with the configurations I still cannot figure out how to get this to work just right. The final search form I desire to have is only a search field, a button, and one radio button for each of the two category options, without any drop-down lists - not even for a "results per page".

Any help, guidance, suggestions, etc...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

~Eric~

How do you define "this" book?
    If you were on the home page of your site which book is "this" book?

Comment

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
      How do you define "this" book?
      If you were on the home page of your site which book is "this" book?
      I have some very old books that were digitized and placed online, and have just this week completed the CSS to make them look really spiffy.

The homepage of the site is a large "table of contents" where the chapters for all ten books are hotlinked. The visitor could scan through the list to go directly to any chapter within those ten books, but there are also links that only go to an index page for each book individually. For example:

HOMEPAGE:
      ==========================
      book 01 | book 02 | book 03 | (etc...etc...)

::Table of Contents::
      Book 01
      Chapter 01
      Chapter 02
      Chapter 03

Book 02
      Chapter 01
      Chapter 02
      Chapter 03

Book 03
      Chapter 01
      Chapter 02
      Chapter 03
      (etc...etc...)

Clicking on any link for "Book x" will take you to another "table of contents" page but only that book. Clicking on any of the "Chapter" links will take the visitor to the chapter which of course is the main text. For example:

BOOK PAGE:
      book 01 | book 02 | book 03 | (etc...etc...)

::Contents of Book X::
      Chapter 01
      description

Chapter 02
      description

Chapter 03
      description
      (etc...etc...)

Each "Book" is confined to its own directory. All of the "Chapters" for book 01 are in a folder named "book01"; all of the chapters for book 02 are in a folder named "book02", etc...

What I wish to do is to have a search form which provides only two options (1) search this book only and (2) search all books.

What is "this" book? Well, each "Book" is a folder with all the "Chapters" inside of it. So what it really comes down to is that the option to "Search this book only" would mean to return results only from the folder of that book you are in, while the option to "Search all books" would mean to return results that come from all of the ten "Book" folders together.

If I was, say, reading a chapter in book 05 and all of a sudden I wanted to know how many times the word "Farmer" appears in book 05 I'd select the option to "search this book only". It would return results from all of the fifteen "Chapter" files inside only the book05 folder. But if I then wanted to see how many times the word "Farmer" appeared in all of the ten books then I'd select the option to "search all books" and it would return results that were gathered from every "Chapter" file from all of the book folders.

Hopefully that helps.
      Last edited by ImEric; Jul-23-2010, 04:18 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

So what it really comes down to is that the option to "Search this book only" would mean to return results only from the folder of that book you are in...
        But if you were on the home page of your site, and not in a folder, which book is "this" book?

Ignoring this point, I woud suggest creating a category per folder using the folder name as the pattern. Then in each folder create a different custom search form with just the options you want in the category list.

I wanted to know how many times the word "Farmer" appears in book 05 I'd select the option to "search this book only". It would return results from all of the fifteen "Chapter" files inside only the book05 folder.
        Zoom won't tell you how many times words appears on a page, nor in a category. What it will do is return a list of pages / documents that contain the word in question ranked by relevancy.

Comment

But if you were on the home page of your site, and not in a folder, which book is "this" book?
          There will not be a search form on the homepage because it is a large "Table of Contents", or index if you prefer. But if you, for example, clicked on the link named Book 05 (or any "Chapter" of Book 05) it takes you to a page where you would have the search form with the two options, search only that book (Book 05 - meaning all of the "Chapter" files in the folder that corresponds to Book 05) or search all books (all of the "Chapter" files for all of Books 01 through 10).

Ignoring this point, I woud suggest creating a category per folder using the folder name as the pattern. Then in each folder create a different custom search form with just the options you want in the category list.
          I've tried that - it's not working, which is the reason for posting on the forum seeking aid. It seems like such a simple thing to accomplish after reading the User Guide, and I've tried many things many times, but nothing is working as it should.

Zoom won't tell you how many times words appears on a page, nor in a category. What it will do is return a list of pages / documents that contain the word in question ranked by relevancy.
          Yes, I did realize that. I was simply trying to give a quick example because you wanted to know how it was laid out, but perhaps I wasn't as careful as necessary in describing.

So, I'm still lost, and can't get this to work...

Comment

So what exactly did you try, and what was the result? Can you post a link to your non working attempt and the configuration settings used.

Comment

Working...
            X