Search results in iFrame or ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search results in iFrame or ...

I have been trying to get your search engine to show results inside an iframe on the same page. To no avail I have come to you for an answer. I have looked through the guide but found no way of doing this.

Another thought is to maybe send the results to another page .. (example: results.html) and then just call that page into the iFrame.

You can turn off the search form on the search page ("Configure"->"Search Page"->change "Search Form" dropdown from "Advanced" to "Do not generate"). That way this page ("search.php" if you are using the PHP version) will only return results and you can put that inside the IFRAME. Then create a search form on the container page with a target that points to the IFRAME, as described here:
    Q. How do I use Zoom on a frames-based website?
    and here:
    Q. How do I put search forms on pages besides the search page? (Or define my own search form?)
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

First I would like to say thank you for the quick and informative reply and the constant help you seem to give this community.

I got the search results showing in the iframe now but its shows the search form as well. Not just the results. It seems like it is just displaying the whole page I just searched from.

Also how do I test this offline since the result links are linked with the Base URL and don't work since the path is wrong.

BTW, I am using the JavaScript version and this is working 100% client-side.
      Last edited by jalowery; Aug-20-2010, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Glad to be of help.

You need to turn off the generated search form via the configuration setting described in my last post. You will need to re-index for this change to take effect.

I presume you intend to host this search function on a CD/DVD or similar medium where no web server is available, and that is why you are using the JavaScript platform.

In which case, you can set a relative base URL, so that the links are all relative to the folder where your search page is (and not dependent online). See Appendix 9.2 in the Users Guide for more information:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

If you plan to host this online (on a web server), we would recommend using a server-side platform such as PHP, ASP, CGI, etc. See chapter 3 and 4 in the Users Guide for a more detailed explanation as to why.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Ray, yes this is for an intranet only and will never be on a IIS/Apache server or avail from the internet.

Set the Base URL to ./ and the search result links are now working correctly.

I did turn the search form off as you directed and re-indexed the site to account for the change.

Everything seems to be working correctly except there is extra text on the search results that I can't seem to remove. "Search results for: & # of results found."

Plus: 1 more question for you.. I want to make the search results to show as hyperlinked images instead of the hyperlinked text. (I'm thinking this might be a little difficult)

Again, thank you very much for your help.
          Last edited by jalowery; Aug-20-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

You might want to have a look at these FAQ,
            Q. How do I associate images with my search results?

Q. How do I index image files (eg. JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF)?

Comment

Thank you, I will have a look at these. I briefly glanced at them not seeing how to specify a different image for each search result based on the page search and found. But again will look in more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by jalowery View Post
                Everything seems to be working correctly except there is extra text on the search results that I can't seem to remove. "Search results for: & # of results found."
                Take a look at chapter 6.7 in the Users Guide (see sub-section, "Advanced template options in JavaScript").

Alternatively, you could hide elements via CSS (giving a class an attribute of "display: none;") which might be a simpler change if you are familiar with CSS.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you, I seem to have everything working perfectly for the most part. Your help has been immensely helpful.

Question: Is there a limit on how deep the indexing will go? (example: /Backup/books/ai/ai1/aip23.html)

Seems to index fine to /backup/books/aip23.html but not any further.

Comment

There is no limit to the depth.
                    But there might be other limits that you have set, like total file counts. These can be set from the Limits configuration window.

Comment

Working...
                    X