fixing the display in internet explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing the display in internet explorer

I have "embedded" the search results into a file that was already on my site so it doesn't look out of place. It worked fine in mozilla firefox but in internet explorer it kept pushing all the tables out. So I placed a "width: 600px;" in the result_block and result_altblock areas of the CSS

Code:
    .result_block { margin-top: 15px; width: 600px; margin-bottom: 15px; clear: left; }
    .result_altblock { margin-top: 15px; width: 600px; margin-bottom: 15px; clear: left; }
    this stopped the tables being pushed out and ruining the page, my problem now is I cannot seem to get the infoline and the context to be 600px max width adding the width to the css does not work. I need them to fit within the light blue area. (compatability view it looks fine in IE but I want it to look ok in normal view as well)

please look at this search result in Internet explorer
    http://www.dubbinz.com/search/search.php?zoom_sort=0&zoom_query=test&zoom_per_pa ge=10&zoom_and=0

also look at it in Firefox (displays the way i want it to.)

I am not good with code as i use dreamweaver to help me so please try to explain things step by step

I had a look at your HTML source code.

You haven't done a very good job of "embedding" the search results. You seem to have just stuck two existing pages together without any concern for the result being valid HTML.

For example, you now have two separate <html> </html> sections in your source code, two separate <body> sections and two <titles>.

This is sure to confuse browsers and get inconsistent results.

So as a first step get the basic structure of the search_template.html file correct again. You should have a HTML page structure like this,
    <html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>

Comment

like I said I am not good with code as i use dreamweaver

ok so html tags and title tags fixed.

body tags .... kinda hard since my original body beginning tag is

<body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" onLoad="MM_preloadImages('../images/home_rollover_btn_rolledover.jpg','../images/anime_rollover_btn_rolledover.jpg','../images/subbinz_rollover_btn_rolledover.jpg')">

and you also have one in the zoom code

<body onload="if (document.getElementById('zoom_searchbox')) {document.getElementById('zoom_searchbox').focus() ;}">

I have no clue how to put these 2 together...

Comment

The onload attribute in the default <body> tag included with Zoom's template file simply pre-selects the search box so that the user can start typing without having to select it with a mouse. So it is not mandatory, just a "nice" thing to have. You can get by fine without it.

Having said that, combining the two would look something like this:

body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" onLoad="MM_preloadImages('../images/home_rollover_btn_rolledover.jpg','../images/anime_rollover_btn_rolledover.jpg','../images/subbinz_rollover_btn_rolledover.jpg'); if (document.getElementById('zoom_searchbox')) {document.getElementById('zoom_searchbox').focus() ;}">
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

ok all done what next boss

Comment

I had another look.
            You still have too many <head> tags.

You might want to use the official HTML W3 syntax validation service to check the HTML on the page.
            http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

This will generate > 90 errors for your page. Although it would be nice to fix them all and have 100% valid code, this is not required for Zoom. You just need to identify and fix the more serious ones.

Comment

The head tag that was there is now gone. There is no way I could fix all these with the knowledge I have of html . I did make a start but because of my understanding of html being limited as it is I don't want to make things worse.

The original code was created by photoshop cs4 "export as html document" and extra bits of code were added in with dreamweaver cs3 so there was bound to be outdated code in there but I didn't know just how bad it would be.

What's alarming is the adbrite code has 9 errors

I also noticed that it picks out closing tags which I assume means that I haven't closed one tag in the page correctly. It's a wonder how this page displays the way it does at all :P

Anyway the head tag is gone now.
              Last edited by steveyk; Sep-20-2010, 01:25 AM.

Comment

I checked in IE8 and FireFox 3.6.
                Both seem to now display the page more or less OK.
                So I guess this resolves the issue.

It is actually pretty hard to get code that validates 100%. But the browsers are fairly forgiving in general.

Comment

Working...
                X