Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add custom search functions -tags

Hi--

I've been asked to migrate a site built with a CMS to straight PHP, but they want to maintain the site's tagging feature. That is, when new page is added, tags can be added to identify the site.

I'd like to use Zoom for the search engine but the engine also needs to search tags and display the right pages.

is this possible?

Thanks!

All text on a page will be indexed. So if the tags are just HTML then they will get indexed and taken into account during a search.

Not sure if this answers your question however?

Comment

You did indirectly.

What I'm trying to do is mimic a tag cloud. We're getting away from the CMS installed here and want to go to a dynamic PHP site. To mimic the tags I'll be setting up a DB with some kind of system matching tags to pages. It would be nice if Zoom could search those as well, but I'm gathering not.

In that case, is there a way for me to extend the functionality of Zoom and add my own code for this?

Comment

Zoom can index any pages generated from PHP, whether the content is from a DB or otherwise... so not sure what you mean there. See this FAQ:
        Q. How can I use Zoom to index my site stored in a database (eg. SQL, Access, etc.)?

In terms of the tags, it really depends on how you are expecting it to work and how you can provide the tags as indexable data.

For example, Zoom has a Custom Meta Fields feature, so you could potentially create a tags meta field and index these from a page:
        <meta name="TAGS" content="News">
        <meta name="TAGS" content="Sports">

More information here:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...ta_fields.html

You can set it up so that it simply does a partial text match if you want an infinite number of tags, or a dropdown if you have a limited set of tags.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Can you aggregate results by tags? For example, we would like to aggregate articles about a particular region by regions. So if you were looking for say "Places to visit in France" - you could aggregate the results by each region?

Comment

Not sure what you mean by aggregate but you could certainly group them together using the "Categories" feature, look into chapter 2.5 of the Users Guide.

The Custom Meta tags also allow you to search by a specific criteria such that you could only pull out results where the custom meta field of Region matches you selection.

If that doesn't help, perhaps you can elaborate on what you mean.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X