Mod_security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod_security

In indexing one of my sites I have recently encountered the error message "Could not download file: xxxx [Forbiden].

In discussions with my hoster the issue of MOD_SECURITY has been raised. Does ZoomSearch have some reaction to MOD_SECURITY settings? If so, what is required to enable safe operation of Zoom?

If you are using Spider Mode, then Zoom is indexing your website as a "client", in other words, as if it was a user with a web browser, looking at each page of your website.

This means pages which you have restricted access to for the end-user will also be restricted for Zoom to index. I presume if you go to that URL in the error message, from your browser, you should find a similar behaviour.

A Forbidden response from the server could be because the folder does not have permission to be listed. Or it could be that you have setup a user login and require HTTP authentication, or it might mean you have setup the MOD_SECURITY firewall incorrectly and are incorrectly blocking valid requests.

If you are running MOD_SECURITY on your server, and you think it might be blocking requests, then it should be trival to check the MOD_SECURITY logs to determine if and why requests were blocked.

If it does require authentication, see this FAQ:
    Q. How do I index protected parts of my website requiring user authentication?
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X